Grow Tomatoes the Easy Way!

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Gardening & Landscaping Grow Tomatoes the Easy Way!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      lisajim

I discovered the easiest method of growing tomatoes ever and even a complete brown thumb gardener can grow them with almost no effort at all, here’s how!

fill a pot with potting soil, grab an overripe tomato (not a hybrid seedless one!) cut the tomato into 1/4″ slices and place a few of those slices on top of the soil. Add just enough soil to cover the tomato slices. Wait 7-14 days for the seeds to germinate (watering lightly as
      needed).

The best part is they’ll need very little attention due to the natural juices of the tomato slices!
      Once the seedlings are established, choose the largest, healthiest plants and transplant them into a new pot of soil (you’ll want about 4).

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      JamesFenway

Hmmm!!!

Thanks for the information

CreatureTeacher

I just started a pot of these in my living room so that I could have fresh tomatoes this winter. I am hoping that by new years I’ll have a plant loaded with fruit. If you grow them indoors you will need to pollinate them in order to get them to fruit, you can use a Q-Tip and just touch the flowers, much like a bee.

Maybe if more people pollinated the flowers themselves they’d realize how important bees really are and start protecting them, I digress.

DianeFulton

@CreatureTeacher 1067014 wrote:

I just started a pot of these in my living room so that I could have fresh tomatoes this winter. I am hoping that by new years I’ll have a plant loaded with fruit. If you grow them indoors you will need to pollinate them in order to get them to fruit, you can use a Q-Tip and just touch the flowers, much like a bee.

Maybe if more people pollinated the flowers themselves they’d realize how important bees really are and start protecting them, I digress.

We’re giving this one a try this year, I already have my potting soil, just waiting to get some bit fat tomatoes at the farmers market this week, a few slices for me, a few for the dirt, haha.

BreeNett

I’ve read that more vegetable growers are using Bud Nip on their produce, so if you plant seeds from a tomato you bought at the grocery, it’s less likely to grow, and if it does grow, it will be small and weak. 🙁 So if anyone tries this method and it doesn’t grow tomatoes, Bud Nip could be the cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpropham

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Gardening & Landscaping Grow Tomatoes the Easy Way!