Chicken Leek Soup

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Chicken Leek Soup

Tagged: ,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      MrsGPJ

Chicken Leek Soup

Ingredients:

• 1 large package chicken tenderloins OR 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts OR 1 large package boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces (see Note)
      • 1 bunch fresh leeks, at least 3 leeks in bunch
      • 2 pounds carrots, peeled and diced or sliced to your preference
      • 1-2 quarts chicken broth OR 1-2 quarts warm water and 2 Tablespoons powdered Chicken buillion
      • salt and pepper to taste
      • onions — optional
        • oil or butter

method:
        1- Wash leeks to remove dirt. Slice off root end, then slice leeks into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices out to the end of the green stalk. Pour a small amount of oil in saucepan or soup pot (about 2 Tablespoons), and add leeks.

Saute the leeks on medium heat until the greens become brighter and the white portion turns slightly translucent. If using onions for more flavor, mince 1/2 of a medium onion and cook it after you’ve cooked the leeks.
        2- Put cooked leeks, plus cooking oil into slow cooker/crock pot, then add remainder of ingredients.

If desired, you can partially cook chicken first before adding it to crock pot/slow cooker, cook until chicken starts to turn white.
        3- If using water & buillion powder, mix powder and 2 cups of warm water together until buillion dissolves, then pour on meat and vegetables, then add rest of water to your desired level; I usually add water/broth under my vegetables and meat is almost covered.
        4- Put lid on slow cooker/ crock pot.

Cook on high for 2 hours, then reduce to low heat for 4-6 hours. If you need an all day meal, cook on low for 6-8 (or more) hours. Salt and pepper the soup to your taste.

NOTE:
        I have found that freezing the chicken (any meat) for 1-2 hours before cutting it up, makes the cutting of the chicken much easier. If this isn’t an option for you, then try using a serrated knife and slice against the grain of the meat.

Enjoy!!

=) Gayle in Utah (USA)
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Chicken Leek Soup