Recently commercial baby wipes have come under fire for a sudden breakout of nasty, painful rashes in children and infants. These rashes are frequently caused by a reaction to the many chemicals used in the wipes. Rather than subject your hands and your children’s sensitive skin to these caustic chemicals, here is a simple money-saving Anti-fungal Baby Wipe recipe that you can make yourself.
This particular recipe helps to discourage Yeast Diaper rash and is soothing to the skin. In our house there are a few essential ingredients that we always have on hand- a set of quality essential oils (not to be confused with Fragrance oils, which are synthetic and should NOT be used directly in skin care products!), aloe vera gel, vinegar, and homemade calendula oil (which we frequently use in various homemade salves and lotions for it’s excellent healing benefits).
In order to make your own Baby wipes you’ll need the following three items:
How to Make them:
* First, using a serrated knife Cut the Paper Towel Roll in half and place that half in a gallon size zip-style bag.
* Mix all the ingredients of the solution together and pour it over the cut paper towels in the zip-style bag. Allow the Anti-Fungal Baby Solution to absorb the moisture for at least 20 minutes.
* Carefully Slide the cardboard center out of the paper towels by grasping the edge, twisting gently and pulling.
* Starting from the center of the roll, Pull out one at a time to use. We always Start the wipes from the center BEFORE placing them in the jar/container because sometimes they get squished in the process.
* Place the wet Paper Towels in the Container you plan to store them in. You can leave them in the zip-style bag, or you can transfer them to a coffee can, or mason jar. We’re opting to use a Quart Mason Jar. Seal with a lid. In the photo here we are simply using a mason jar with a plastic recap lid.
Paper Product (choose one)
Paper Towels (soft), Bounty, Viva, or a good brand that won’t fall apart.
CONTAINER (choose one)
Empty Shortening Can
Ice Cream Bucket
Any small round container with plastic lid
With all these containers, you can cut an “X” into the plastic lid and then pull them out that way. It will hold the moisture in better. Have fun decorating the container if giving as a gift!
In addition to being more economical, most people claim these formulas cause fewer irritations on the skin.
Photo Credit: Dr Mary Wu Chang