What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lemon Meringue Cupcakes Oh My!

lemon meringue cupcakes are absolutely awesome and are the perfect serving size summer dessert. oh my, have you ever seen anything so delicious looking, ever?!

these are a family favorite and my most requested recipe during our family reunion, i usually make 4-5 dozen of them, lol. For the best meringue, make sure your whites are room temperature.
    Name:  cupcake-lemon.jpg
Views: 73563
Size:  33.1 KB

Lemon Filling:
    3 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
    3/4 cup granulated white sugar
    3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
    pinch of salt
    3 tbsp. lemon juice
    2 tbsp.

lemon zest, loosely packed
    1/2 cup water
    2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Cupcakes:
    1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    3 tbsp. lemon juice
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp.

salt
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Meringue:
    3 egg whites
    pinch of salt
    1/4 cup sugar

How to Make the Filling:
    In small saucepan over low heat, whisk egg yolks, sugar, flour, and salt; whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest, water, and melted butter; increase heat to medium and, whisking constantly, cook until lemon filling is smooth and thick, about 7 minutes; remove from heat and set aside

Heat oven to 375 degrees

How to Make the Cupcakes:

In medium bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, lemon juice, baking powder, and salt; beat in flour until just combined

Divide cupcake batter between 12 cupcake liners in a muffin pan; bake 15-16 minutes until center of cupcakes firms up; remove cupcakes from oven and cool 5-8 minutes (do not turn off oven)

In the meantime, while the cupcakes are baking you'll need to prepare the meringue: beat egg whites with salt until mixture begins to stiffen; add sugar and beat until meringue is stiff and forms pretty peaks and are nice and glossy.

Using a cupcake corer or With a sharp knife, remove center of each cupcake (about 1" in diameter), leaving a layer of cupcake beneath cut out; fill cupcake centers with lemon filling

Divide dollops of meringue between cupcakes, spreading out to edges and gently tapping with back of spoon to form peaks; return cupcakes to oven and bake an additional 5-6 minutes until meringue peaks are golden brown; remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes; refrigerate an hour or more before serving

Makes a Dozen, you can toss the cupcake middles or just munch them.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lemon Meringue Cupcakes Oh My!

Oh these look yummy! I know my DF would have loved them...his favorite pie was lemon meringue. Maybe I'll make them this weekend and think of him as I share with friends on Daddy's Day.

Thread Information