Southwestern Black Bean Soup- Diabetic Recipes & Supplies, etc

Southwestern Black Bean Soup 2 cups dried black beans 2-inch piece of kelp 1 bay leaf 2 tbs olive oil 1 onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped fine (optional) 1 stalk celery, chopped 2 carrots, chopped

add, beans, black, celery, chopped, cook, cumin, fresh, minutes, oil, olive, onion, oregano, salt, sea, soup, southwestern, tbs, vegetables, water, Kidney-Friendly, leaf, kelp, bean, cups, fine, jalapeno, garlic, heat, hour, medium, carrot, flame, translucent, soft, serves, bored, cover, dried, minute, pinches, teaspoon, soak, overnight, cloves, seed, stalk, optional, carrots, ground

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Southwestern Black Bean Soup

Southwestern Black Bean Soup
    2 cups dried black beans
    2-inch piece of kelp
    1 bay leaf
    2 tbs olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
    1 jalapeno pepper, chopped fine (optional)
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 tsp ground cumin seed

1 tbs chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dry
    sea salt
    Soak beans overnight in 6 cups water. Drain, replace with fresh water, and add kelp and bay leaf. Bring beans to a boil, skim off the foam, and then simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Heat olive oil over medium flame. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno, celery, and carrot. Cook vegetables until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add cumin, and cook one minute more. Add vegetables, along with oregano, and two pinches of sea salt to beans. Cover and cook another 30 minutes, or until beans are soft. Serves 4-6

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Southwestern Black Bean Soup

I really like your idea of adding some kelp. It's a great source of minerals. Thanks!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Southwestern Black Bean Soup

You are welcome! Hope your family enjoys it. I'm always researching how to make meals more nutritious and still be tasty and exploring oriental dishes, especially Japanese -- who I think are the best at making use of available resources inspired me to borrow from them and update recipes that most eveyone I know enjoys. Of all the different ways I make black bean soup, I think that this one is my favorite! LOL! Of course it helps having a nearby Asian Market and making friends with the proprietors so I can ask questions about ingredients...giggle... I also have some Vietnamese friends who are always sharing with me, so I use them as guinea pigs when I come up with a new dish like this one. By the way, they loved it and said next time, I need to double the batch! LOL!