Which is more frugal, hand washing or dishwasher?- Frugal Savings

My husband and I bought a house last summer and it came with a dishwasher. We were so excited because it was the first we ever had! Now, it's a burden. It's a piece of junk and never gets the dishes clean. We usually end up washing the food junks off after the cycle anyway. Dh has suggested getting

bought, burden, clean, cycle, dishes, dishwasher, end, excited, food, frugal, hand, house, husband, ideas, junks, piece, suggested, summer, wash, washing, junk

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Which is more frugal, hand washing or dishwasher?

My husband and I bought a house last summer and it came with a dishwasher. We were so excited because it was the first we ever had! Now, it's a burden. It's a piece of junk and never gets the dishes clean. We usually end up washing the food junks off after the cycle anyway. Dh has suggested getting a new one but I wonder if it's more frugal to just hand wash. Any ideas?

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which is more frugal, hand washing or dishwasher?

This all depends on how many dishes that you have on a daily basis. When I had kids at home the dishwasher was necessary.

If you decide to purchase a dishwasher there are a few things to keep in mind.
    1. Dishwashers with stainless steel in sides tend to wash better.
    2. Make sure the dishwasher heats the water to a sanitary temperature.
    3. Keep in mind there are a lot of different dishwasher detergents available to use. Your water will decide which one works best for you.
    4. If you rinse you dishes before loading the dishwasher find one with a quick wash.
    5. The newer dishwashers are so much better than a older one.
    6. Can all of your dishes including pots and pans be washed in the dishwasher?

This really is a personal preference. For me being able to scrape a plate and put everything into the dishwasher and get clean dishes out is worth it.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks LLindsay! That's some good info I would never have thought about!

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Keep a pail next to your sink so when your done washing dishes you can reuse the water to water your indoor plants and outdoor plants.