Starting off the Year

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Weekly Menu Plans Starting off the Year

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      mos

Pan-fried catfish fillets, macaroni & cheese, Brussels sprouts, and blondie cupcake with cocoa frosting

Chicken burrito (using chicken from the freezer), refried beans, and chocolate chip cookie ice cream cake

Boston-butt pork roast and tomatoes (crockpot), brown rice, peas, and black & whites

Chicken soup (from freezer), salad, and caramel-pecan brownie

Sliced turkey breast with gravy (from freezer), roasted potatoes, buttered carrots, and oatmeal trail mix cookies

catfish po’ boy, salad, and peanut butter fluffernutter bar

Chicken, mac & cheese and Brussels sprouts casserole (using leftovers from earlier in the week and chicken from the freezer), and chocolate chip cookie ice cream cake
      :115:

JoAnn

mos ,
      Your menu sounds really good. One question is your catfish fresh or store purchase?

faxonfive

I was gonna ask the same thing…yall fish for your cats?

mos

frozen;- I wish they were fresh!

HSLINKS

I want catfish too ..

I have to admit love the taste hate the cleaning .. Anyone ever find an easy way to skin a catfish?

Ria

mardhines

Just two questions………… what is this>>> peanut butter fluffernutter bar<<< AND WHERE DO I GET IT? YUMMMMM.... lol

brchbell

@mardhines 98628 wrote:

Just two questions………… what is this>>> peanut butter fluffernutter bar<<< AND WHERE DO I GET IT? YUMMMMM.... lol

Yes what is peanut butter nutterflutter bars? I heard of peanut butter nutter flutter sandwiches- peanut butter and marshmallow creme but never heard of bars?

mos

oops! it appears that I left out the ‘banana’ part…
      Peanut Butter-Banana Fluffernutter Bars
      Bars:
      1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
      1 1/2 tsp baking pwder
      1/2 tsp cinnamon
      1/4 tsp salt
      1/2 cup chunkey peanut butter
      1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
      1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
      1 egg
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      2/3 cup whole milk
      1/2 cu crumbled dried banana chips
      Icing:
      1/4 cup sugar
      1 egg white
      1 cup marshmallow creme
      Garnish:
      1/3 cup chopped salted roasted peanuts
      16 dried banana chips
      Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in small bowl. Beat peanut butter, brown sugar and butter in large bowl at medium-high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla until belended and smooth. At low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with milk just until smooth, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup banana chips. spread batter in pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or unti rich golden brown, bars start to pull away from sides of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbes attached. Cool in pan on wire rack. Meahwile, heat sugar, 1 tbs water and egg white in medium saucepan over low heat. Beat at high speed 3 minutes or until soft peaks form. Remove pan from heat. Beat in marshmallow creme 5 to 6 minutes or until almost cool and stiff peaks form. spread over bars. Top with peanuts and 16 dried banana chips. 16 bars = about 210 calories.
      this is DD’s creation (she’s the dessert master), as she’s always trying to come up with interesting recipes that has her mother’s favorite favorite food — peanut butter! however, the ‘garnish’ is my addition…which she believes is not necessary;-) so you can decide!
      I baked a bunch of sweet treats over the holidays and saved a few for me for dessert, then I’m swearing off desserts for at least a month…well…we’ll see…encourage me!!!!!!!!!
      fyi — the little wench makes an amazing pumpkin-peanut butter cheesecake with chocolate drizzle and she won’t share the recipe! ACK!
      AND she just announced over the holidays that she’s been accepted to culinary school so she’s not going to be a music teacher…she’s going to be a chef. I’m proud, but I wish she’d do the last semester to get the degree and THEN go off to become a chef. nowadays, you need all the skills you can get to get and stay employed;-

brchbell

Can’t wait to try them! Bet the kids will love it!

faxonfive

OH GROSS!! I cant stand peanut butter!!! Sorry yall!!

brchbell

Well, I love peanut butter but as I’ve aged it no long loves me! I only eat a little and only if it’s in the morning so I have time to digest it and get over the problems before bedtime. But my kids really love peanut butter and we go through a good 5 pounds a month! Like I said we work hard and it’s a high energy food. I’ll have a grilled cheese for lunch and the kids will have grilled peanut butter and chocolate chip! They go through a ton of them when we are doing fencing. They hand dig the holes then help plant poles and string fencing. hard work and they burn off a lot of calories doing it! Whole wheat bread with PB & Choc. Chips is as close as we get to junk food here! Even I think it sounds gross!

mardhines

mos,
      I LOVE peanut butter, and I think your daughter is a genius! These look to die for. I am definitely going to make them.. Oh man… I can feel a few more pounds creeping on…. Thank you for posting the recipe for us.. and thank her for sharing please.

mos

that’s okay…we’ll still keep ya! LOL! BUT, I have to admit that you are the first person that I’ve ever heard of NOT liking peanut butter!

mos

yeah…DD is pretty clever… her cheesecakes are incredible…definitely an artist with this delight!

brchbell

My niece went to a Jr. college and got a 2 yr. culinary arts degree and came straight out and got a job paying $90,000 in KC,MO as a pastry chef. She’s best known for her cheese cake. They are to die for but Heather’s not sharing any recipes on this! She’s been doing it for more than 8 yrs now and loves it! Great job if they are good at it!

mos

DD wants to have her own place. her goal is to work for someone else for a couple of years and learn some more about the business aspect while saving to have her own place. she’s really given herself a lofty goal or opening in three years!!! she very generously offered her dear old mother a spot as one of the chefs since she intends to focus on her specialty…yummy desserts;-) I think that I’d probably do better as a bookkeepper or possibly a supervisor of sanitary practices — dishwasher! LOL! well, maybe I could be the friendly hostess…

HSLINKS

Running a restaurant is a tough tough job .. Little sleep, lots of stress

Any book keeping background knowledge? If you get the BBC watch the restaurant shows dealing with some of the other people in the kitchen is a nightmare ..

Ria

HSLINKS

Gordon Ramsey – couldn’t think of his name .. He’s not nice about it but its interesting to watch.

I have had a few friends with restaurants, all are tired

Ria

starsinnight

sounds delicious!! And mos, i’m thinking about the same thing as your daughter. i just sent off a postcard to receive info on culinary school, but am trying to convince myself to stay in the education program im in now and finish that first! 🙂 i’d love to have my own restarant one day.

i love peanut butter and banana smoothies so this should be great!!!

mos

a friend recommended that DD should try his competition once she finishes. she knows my DD and thinks that it would make for great entertainment even if she didn’t win. DD is pretty tough and gives as good as she receives;-0

mos

good for you! I’m glad that someone is doing a little extra thinking;-) be sure to keep us posted on your endeavors!!!

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Weekly Menu Plans Starting off the Year