Recipes » Copycat ~ Clone » Homestyle Eggo Waffles Recipe

Homestyle Eggo Waffles Recipe

fb iconpinterest iconpinterest iconlinkedin iconbuffer icon

If you love the taste of those convenient frozen Eggo waffles, you’ll really adore this copycat recipe that tastes identical to the store-bought version.
We recreate name brand foods for a number of different reasons, sometimes we don’t like the use of certain ingredients in a product, or it’s too expensive to purchase in the quantities we’d need to feed our family, (when you’re feeding 2 teen boys and several of their friends, they can go through 3-5 Boxes of these in one day!

homestyle-eggo-waffles-recipe

Sometimes the product isn’t available in our area (or easy to get to)- for example when we lived in the midwest it often took over 2 hours to get to our nearest Supermarket, during the summer months when the temperatures hit triple digits, we couldn’t possibly get frozen food home before it thawed, so purchasing these tasty morsels wasn’t an option for us.

Sometimes, we just plain like the challenge of trying to recreate our favorite foods. In cooking recipes often call for buttermilk, which is relatively expensive to purchase in liquid form and keep on hand because it doesn’t have a lasting shelf life. Since we tend to cook with it several times per month we purchase Buttermilk Powder instead.

For Homestyle Waffles You’ll Need:

3 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 1/2 Tbs tablespoons sugar
1 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. buttermilk (or 1/4 c. Water and 1 TBS Buttermilk Powder)
1/4 c. vegetable oil
10-12 Drops Yellow food coloring (**Optional, but necessary if you want them to LOOK like Eggos too!)

For Whole Wheat Waffles You’ll Need:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. vegetable oil
10-12 Drops Yellow food coloring

For Buttermilk Waffles You’ll Need:

3 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 c. Water and 3 TBS Buttermilk Powder)
3/4 cup water
1/4 c. vegetable oil
10-12 Drops Yellow food coloring (optional)

For Blueberry Waffles You’ll Need:

3 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
3/4 cup Dried Blueberries
1 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. vegetable oil
10-12 Drops Yellow food coloring (Optional)

In a mixer, beat eggs and sugar with a mixer on high speed for 1 minute. Add water, milk, oil, and buttermilk, mixing well until combined.

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt mixing well.

Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, mixing on medium/high for 1 minute. (If making the blueberry waffles, add the blueberries now).

Heat the Waffle Iron, Spritz it liberally with non-stick spray (we use an olive oil Misto!) Pour 1/2 cup of batter into the center of the waffle iron, allowing it to spread evenly and cook about 1 minute. Do not cook longer, the point is not to brown the waffle, this will be done in the toaster later!!

Cool, place in freezer or vacuum seal bags and freeze.

To enjoy, pop a waffle or two into the toaster on the lowest setting and toast, top with butter, syrup, fresh berries, etc as desired.

The recipe makes about 9 large Round waffles, but we recommend using a square waffle maker because they seem to toast more evenly and fit in the toaster better!

Waffle Maker Cleaning Tip

Once you’re done cooking waffle, wet a paper towel and wring it out, unplug the waffle maker. While it’s still hot, but unplugged, open it up and place the paper towel inside (opened). Close the waffle maker, wait about 1 minute, allowing the stuck on material to steam off and gently pull out the damp (but hot!) paper towel. It creates the perfect amount of steam to clean the waffle iron with minimal effort.

© Can Stock Photo / dehooks & © Can Stock Photo / 8vfanC

More Copycat Recipes

3 thoughts on “Homestyle Eggo Waffles Recipe”

1. Can I use a European style waffle maker for these? Meaning the thin Belgian type? I don’t have a lot of options here. Thank you! Can’t wait to try out this recipe!

2. I made the Homestyle waffles. These taste really good, but mine turned out quite dense. I was hoping they would be light and crispy like the real thing. I used a little less flour than the recipe called for. Maybe I need to use even less. What consistency should the batter be?
    I also only have a Belgian waffle iron. I think these would be better on a traditional waffle iron. If I can get the texture right, I might have to invest in a traditional iron.

3. 5 stars
    I think these actually taste better after they’ve been frozen and toasted in the toaster oven. Maybe I’m just used to eating store-bought waffles, haha

Leave a Comment