Staying warm inside the house

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Staying warm inside the house

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      HSLINKS

staying warm at home:
      keeping hands warm
      from ria: i have found if i have something on my wrists then i am warmer – especially if i’m on the keyboard. sometimes i just toss on some cuffs from the sewing pile, these are handy as you can pull off easily for doing dishes etc.

i really like the half glove idea but can’t knit or crochet fingers. however i do have one pair of weight lifting gloves, these have no fingers and are sprta spandex-y material, very nice when the arthristis kicks up on fingers & hands

wristlets:
      these are open tubes (both knit & crochet) which are either open or catch-stiched on end to make a thumb section and 4 finger section. I need to pull out the round loom and make up a quick pair or two for home. Long sleeves work but generally I am doing dishes or something and they end up wet, using the wristlets I can pull them off quickly and do what I need to do and pop them back on later for warmth.

I know I have saved free patterns for these I can post if anyone wants them

slippers:
      from ria:
      theres a simple knit slipper pattern ..these are amazingly warm. when i made them for my kids i used to put extra yard in the center (aunt lydia’s rug yarn) for durability. to keep the kids from sliding i also ran some hot glue dribbles on the bottom.

i ended up changing the number of stitches and it worked for the kids feet and the teens. **i even made bootie size ones like this

slipper (knitting) easy
      cast on 29 sts, leaving an allowance of 12 inches of yarn for sewing up heel of slipper.

Row 1: K across.

Row 2: K 9, p l ,k 9, p 1,k 9.

Rows 3 through 26: Repeat rows 1 and 2, with each 2 rows forming pattern, end with row 2.

Row 27: K 10, add extra strand of yarn from smaller ball, k 9 with two strands, drop one strand, k 10 to end of row.

Row 28: With single strand, k 7, p 1, pick up second strand, k 1, inc 1 st, k 9, inc 1 st, k 1, drop extra strand of yarn, p 1, k to end of row—31 sts.

Row 29: K across, adding extra strand only for middle 11 sts.

Continue working 31 sts, adding the extra strand only for middle 11 sts, as for rows 1 and 2, until you have 46 rows. Fasten off extra strand, ending with row 2.

Row 47: K across 31 sts with single strand.

Row 48: K 9, p 1, k 1, k 2 tog (dec), k 2, k 2 tog, k 2, k 2 tog, p 1, k last 9 sts— 28 sts.

Rows 49 through 59: K 2, p 2 across.

Finishing: Fasten off yarn, leaving a strand eighteen inches long on slipper. Thread needle with strand, pull through and draw 28 sts together, continue sewing for 3½ inches above toe. Sew back of heel with 12-inch strand left at start of work.

Draw elastic cord through top of slipper to hold it on foot. Sew pompon on slipper.

Pompon: Cut piece of cardboard 2 x

Make second slipper same.

to make (ideas from online):
      the best solution is wearing natural fibers, though. for my daughter (and boys), i buy big mens and womens wool and wool blend sweaters from the salvation army, wash them so they felt, then turn them into wooly pants, leggings, vests, skirts and dresses.”

toasty throw
      Toasty Throw
      **seems to me if you made this from fleece you could have practically no machine sewing at all .. (*i know its not as pretty) cut the center line & neck area, add in the ribbons by hand and its done .. i have some small lap style fleece blankets and think i will make this.

in fact for those of us that are of the ‘hippy era’ this is a nicer version of the blanket ponchos we wore lol

leg warmer blanket
      Leg Warmers
      a giant double pocket for feet at the bottom of a blanket.

to buy:
      from ria: years ago i bought danskin leggings, they wear like iron. (**today danskin does not have the variety they used to have in the plus size so i don’t know it’s quality). i am not a 96 pound dancer so I am amazed how long these lasted, some are close to 10 years old and the elastic etc is still good.

These work great under pants as an extra liner.

I had considered buying leggings/tights from ringgers but i really didn’t have the cash and didn’t want to use a c/c. i may regret that since they only order in fall and early winter.
      ringger’s clothing
      ringger clothing modest and custom clothing
      Ringger Clothing Dresses

just checked with Ringgers and they do have some left not much though

comments from ringgers: sources for leg warmers are foot traffic socks, toe socks, tights, and hosiery and babylegs leg and arm warmers. the original. like you. .”

**no personal knowledge of these sites

“my best friend is my “smart wool” leggings. you can get them at sports stores like rei and eastern mountain sports. i hang static-y skirts in the bathroom when i shower, and spritz quickly from a far distance some aqua net onto it and underneath…sounds crazy but it works.

ria

Niddi

Thanks for all the great ideas, I just love my crocket slippers, I like barefooting and they feel like I am except my feet stay warm. I love the idea of a pocket at the bottom of a blanket. I also have made a long wide scarf and turned up the bottom to make a pocket at each end.

You can use it to keep your hands warmer or to carry a few items when you don’t want to carry your purse. Thanks for posting your cozy ideas.

HSLINKS

Hi Niddi,
      When I was at the Dollar Tree they had light weight 60 inch scarves, I was going to make pockets. I figure its lightweight enough if I want I could use inside the house. My hands and feet are always cold (even when young and skinny in FL).

I wear a fleece vest in the house, it keeps my shoulders warm which helps with arthritis.

Using the computer my hands get wicked cold, I am constantly moving the mousepad down so it hangs off the desk so my wrists and lower arm are on it vs the tabletop.
      Ria

sonyrobin

Thanks so much for the slipper pattern. I have one question, though….what size needles do you use for this project?

Thanks,
      Sonia

katyadvocare

Can you explain use of round loom for wristlets? I have the small blue ‘preemie baby hat’ sized loom and I’d love to show/explain to the ladies I crochet with how to make them on it. And I’d need instructions to crochet an open tube too.

Thanks!

faxonfive

Thanks for the excellent ideas…I am in my new apartment…and its so COLD!!!!

robin1035

interesting question, i do love to knit and also would like to know more about those fangdangled oval loom thingies.

how diff. from regular knitting are they?
      are the versatile? what can yoy make with them?
      do they break (aka would they survive a toddler)?

wondering cause they are plastic and sould at walmart…usually not a good combo.
      do they require special yarn or other gadgets?

curios in pa
      thank you
      robin

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Staying warm inside the house