1 c Yellow cornmeal
      1 c Flour
      1 ts Sugar
      1/2 ts Salt
      4 ts Baking powder
      1 ea Egg
      1 c Milk
      1/2 c Melted shortening

Preheat oven to 425 F. Sift dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add egg, milk,
      and shortening. Stir until blended, do not overbeat. Grease 8-inch square pan
      or iron skillet. Heat on top of stove and pour in batter. Bake in the oven 20
      to 25 minutes.

mardhines

Thank you, as simple as cornbread is to make, its amazing how many do not work. My husband is from Oklahoma, and very picky about his cornbread LOL. This one looks very good and I will definetly try it.

faxonfive

This was a recipe that my dad used all the time and let me tell you what – this is the best cornbread recipe I have ever had!!!! Enjoy!!

JoAnn

@faxonfive 96447 wrote:

This was a recipe that my dad used all the time and let me tell you what – this is the best cornbread recipe I have ever had!!!! Enjoy!!

I really liked this recipe.. It’s mark in the recipe box as Lynn’s Dad. Thank-You again..

faxonfive

You made it?? You liked it – wonderful!!!

Margaret K

We always make our own cornbread & freeze any leftovers. We alwayss have cornbread for dressing. In the summer we store the cornmeal in the freezer in a plastic bag. No bugs in it.

faxonfive

I store my cornbread in a plastic cylinder, no bugs that way either 🙂

JoAnn

I’m usually using frozen cornbread for my stuffings also..

wilbe95

I never have any leftover cornbread in my house. Maybe I need to make a larger batch then we could have it easier 🙂

faxonfive

Cornbread with a nice pot of beans sounds delish right now 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Homemade Cornbread