Frugal Living » DIY Pedicure at Home – Foot Soak & Callus Remover Pinterest Facebook

DIY Pedicure at Home – Foot Soak & Callus Remover Pinterest Facebook

fb iconpinterest iconpinterest iconlinkedin iconbuffer icon

The past couple of weeks I’ve been suddenly inundated with questions that ask,

• “Do you try everything before you post?”
  • “Do you perfect a recipe before sharing?”
  • “Do you Guarantee this recipe to work?”
  • “Is there any quality control of your recipes? How do I know its going to work for me?”

I have to wonder sometimes if it’s just a trolling question, or are people really Serious when they ask? Quite frankly, I have to laugh at all of these questions…

How do I KNOW that it will work for you? I don’t KNOW, I’m not clairvoyant or psychic, I don’t just magically “know” what you will or wont like, hell half of the time I don’t even know if my own family members will like it until I make it and tweak it half a dozen times.

I never claimed to “know”, I’m just sharing what I can find, create or come up with that might help save someone some money. Some suggestions might work well for you, some might not, some might not even apply to you.

Just so you know, I’m just like you.. I see things on the internet that intrigue me and I think, Dang, I’ve gotta try that. Like you, I too have those days when I wish I hadn’t wasted my time, energy or money trying something. It’s called LIFE.

Case in point, last week this lovely homemade “spa” recipe was circulating on Facebook and Pinterest. This is what it said,

“this is crazy! Mix up 1/4 Listerine, 1/4c vinegar and 1/2 cup warm water, soak feet for 10 minutes and when you take them out the dead skin will practically wipe off!”

Now I should’ve known better when the lady stated “USE THE BLUE KIND” that this was complete and utter crap… but I can be a bit too trusting at times.

DIY Pedicure at Home – Foot Soak & Callus Remover

Here’s the post:

Spa Lie that will turn your feet blue
Spa Lie

The Listerine Foot Soak DIY Pedicure Lie Dissected

Okay, when I saw this post my brain instantly popped out with these four thoughts:

1. There’s no way a person can “Soak” their feet in 1 cup of liquid.
  2. That photo does NOT show those ingredients listed in the recipe
  3. There’s no way this can actually work
  4. Screw it, I’m going to try it anyway.

And DESPITE my brain telling me otherwise, I tried it. So, let’s break this down, shall we?

The original ingredients called for 1/4 cup of blue Listerine, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup of water. So, I dutifully mixed the ingredients as it stated and added it to one side of the foot spa.

As I first expected, there’s no way a person can soak their feet in a single cup of liquid. It was barely enough to cover one foot. So, I then repeated the process to fill the other side.

diy footspa listerine vinegar pedicure soak

Then the recipe states that you should soak your feet for 10 minutes. There are other variations stating to soak for 15 minutes. I opted for 12 minutes.

DIY Pedicure at Home Results

Using a brush or pumice stone, rub the calloused areas and the dead skin will slough off. This part is not a complete lie, as you can see the callous is breaking up.

dead skin slough off

Well, it’s breaking up a little bit. Then again, soaking your foot in plain water will have that effect. I scrubbed.. and scrubbed.. and scrubbed some more. Then showered, rinsed and dried my foot.

You want to see how it all worked out for me? Sure . . . check this out, it looks like I kicked a smurf in the @ss!

Facebook Pinterest Foot Spa Recipe Lie
Do you want blue feet? Because that’s how you get blue feet!

For those of you who are inevitably STILL wondering whether or not this recipe works and the dead skins cells magically sloughed off… it didn’t.

I figured out how one gets “smooth” feet from this recipe… they spend literally 3 days sanding off their skin in an attempt to get the NORMAL color to return!

diy pedicure at home day 3 results

Incidentally . . my family has been having a little bit of fun, at the expense of my blue booby feet.

There’s a bird in the Galapagos Islands called a Blue Footed Booby whose feet turn blue during mating season and they pick them up one at a time to show them off for their potential mates.
blue footed booby galapagos island

I guess I have something in common with them now, I’m officially a Booby.

So, when you’re wondering whether every single recipe on the site is tried and true, it is, just not by me personally. With over 400,000 pages of recipes, hints and tips, and only 1 of me there’s no possible way that I could personally test out everything for you and besides, I’m still trying to get the blue off my feet.

Love this Honest DIY Pedicure at Home – Foot Soak & Callus Remover Review? Pin it!

diy pedicure at home foot soak callus remover review- we tried it- see the amazing results #DIY #Pedicure #manicure #callusremover

View More Frugal Living Ideas

More DIY Projects

9 thoughts on “DIY Pedicure at Home – Foot Soak & Callus Remover Pinterest Facebook”

1. You do not need listerine or vinegar. All you need is warm water and a pumice stone and patience to sit and let your feet soak. Toss in a few epsom salts for a real nice soak.

2. I want to give you a heads up, some of the recipes for this nightmare online call for soaking your feet for 15 minutes or more. DON’T DO THAT.

I soaked mine for fifteen minutes and my toenails fell off!!

3. As crazy as it seems, I’ve got one that actually works. I have been using this technique for years, and it really works just like the callus remover they use at a salon.

Soak your feet in warm water for 15 minutes.

Combine 3 teaspoons of baking soda with one teaspoon of water (or scale up from there if more is needed). This will form a paste which you can apply to the callus once it is softened.

Then, wear a sock and let the solution help exfoliate the callus while you sleep.

4. How to Remove Calluses with Vinegar and Water:

Mix together a solution of four parts water and one part apple cider vinegar. Soak the callused area for about 20 minutes, then use a callous shaver to remove the skin from this soak.

You should be able to peel a layer or two off with patience! For tough calluses, repeat the process.

5. Don’t you hate when your feet are so rough that they look like a cow’s tongue? Luckily, there is an easy way to take care of this problem.

All you need are ingredients from the kitchen and time! Start by mixing together four parts water with one part apple cider vinegar in a bowl or pot on the stovetop.

Once it reaches bath temperature (you can test if its hot enough by dipping your pinkies in), fill up some bowls for soaking each foot at once.

Soak them for about 20 minutes before removing any calluses that have softened during the soak process – don’t be too harsh while peeling off layers as these areas may become irritated otherwise! Repeat two more times over 3-4 days

6. I tried this too when it first came out. Even if you manage to get the blue off of your feet in under a weeks time, your nails will remain blue for about 2-3 weeks afterwards.

Leave a Comment