Beef Stew from roast?

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Left Over Layering Beef Stew from roast?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      BellaInara

I bought a marked down roast yesterday at the store. I plan on roasting it with veggies tomorrow. I figured that we wouldn’t be able to eat all of it, so I’d like to maybe make a beef stew from it.

Does this sound doable? Obviously I’ve never made this kind of thing. (My beef stew has always been Dinty Moore, even when growing up) Does any one have any ideas or recipes to use?

I’ve never made a roast before ether, so any ideas on how to not mess it up would be welcome.

Thanks,
      Shannon

wilbe95

AN easy way to make the roast is in the oven and add a cup of leftover coffee to the pan. Not sure what it does but what a great flavor and moist. For the stew I like cutting the roast up into small bite size pieces, adding potatoes, and a can of mixed vegetables (or frozen) and some tomato sauce, herbs. Add water to keep it in watered in a soup like base.

I wish I could be of better help, I don’t measure, I just eyeball and add things until it tastes like what I thought it would 🙂

JoAnn

Kim, I don’t drink coffee, does it leave a coffee taste? I like the smell of coffee brewing— but it’s not one of the taste that I like.

wilbe95

No the roast does not taste like coffee. It acts like a tenderizer to the meat.

Margaret K

You can use a can of cream soup(we like mushroom), a package of onion soup mix(we use WalMart) & cook in a crockpot or oven, covered. We also add a cup of Sherry or Burgandy. For something different we put some sour cream in about 1/2 an hour before we are going to eat.

Good luck.

BellaInara

Those are some great tips. I had never heard of the coffee one. I read in my cookbook earlier that adding beer helps.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any coffee or beer, but I do have the soup, so I will probably try that. Any ideas how long to cook it? It is around 2 1/2lbs.

Shannon

leeannhoy28

My grandma used to make strew out of left over roast all the time!! She would use tha pan dripping and make extra gravy for the stew and cut up whatever meat and veggies we did not eat that night, mix it together and call it stew. Super yummy!
      I ususally cook mine all day in a crock pot, I am not sure how long to cook it in the oven.

BellaInara

okay, here is where I am at.

Just got back from the store, got onion, carrots, and potatoes for roast. Also got dry onion soup mix (I know, I know, I should have made my own)

I’ve started a loaf of bread in the bread machine (Just got it today, very excited) to be done around dinner time.

I’m about to start the chopping, but first I am going to check out my cookbooks to see how long I should cook the roast, how much water, etc.

I’ll keep posting as I go (Laptop is in the kitchen, as it is slowly becoming my digital cookbook)

Shannon

DohDohBird

I always turn my roasts into stew the next day. Everyone looks forward to it. Something about leftover roast made into stew is very homey.

Just chop it up, along with leftover veggies (add more carrots, onion, potato, parsnip, whatever you used if needed), add some water and bouillon, taste now and then to check seasoning. If my husband’s got a beer in the fridge I will pour a beer in the stew. It adds a nice flavor.

I always stir in some floury water at the end to make the stew nice and thick, and I tend to serve it with cornbread.

BellaInara

Ok, the roast was good, and we had about half left after dinner. I cut it up and put it in a pot with the left over carrots and potatoes. I added a bag of frozen mixed veggies, the rest of the onion soup mix and water.

I let it simmer until the new veggies were tender. I added cornstarch to thicken the base. It is now the perfect constancy.

I am transferring it to 2 Ziploc bags. We’ll eat one tomorrow, and the other will go in the freezer. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

I love that I’ve gotten 3 meals out of 1 cooking.

Shannon

JoAnn

You certainly did do a good job. Getting 3 meals out of one roast…It’s all a learning proccess..

brchbell

I cook my roast in the Crockpot with potatoes and carrots. If I’m lucky enough to have left overs I chop up the left over roast and mix a little gravy with it and the potatoes that were left over and fry it up in a skillet making Hash out of it. We love it but rarely have left overs!

Oh it’s so good!

rtebalt

@brchbell 94946 wrote:

I cook my roast in the Crockpot with potatoes and carrots. If I’m lucky enough to have left overs I chop up the left over roast and mix a little gravy with it and the potatoes that were left over and fry it up in a skillet making Hash out of it. We love it but rarely have left overs!

Oh it’s so good!

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I’d love to have it! 🙂

leeannhoy28

@DohDohBird 94825 wrote:

I always turn my roasts into stew the next day. Everyone looks forward to it. Something about leftover roast made into stew is very homey.

Just chop it up, along with leftover veggies (add more carrots, onion, potato, parsnip, whatever you used if needed), add some water and bouillon, taste now and then to check seasoning. If my husband’s got a beer in the fridge I will pour a beer in the stew. It adds a nice flavor.

I always stir in some floury water at the end to make the stew nice and thick, and I tend to serve it with cornbread.

I add a can of beer in my crock pot for roast or chicken. It does add a very nice flavor!!

:120103_emTE32_prv (

brchbell

Skillet Hash
      About 2 cups chopped cooked Beef
      2 cups chopped cooked potatoes
      some chopped onion
      A little snipped Parsley if you’d like
      dash of salt & pepper
      1/4 cup oil or shortening
      2/3 cup gravy or water

combine beef, potatoes, onion, parsely, salt & pepper. heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Spread meat mixture in skillet.

Brown hash 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently with wide spatula. Stir in gravy or water. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10 minutes or until crisp.

We rarely have left overs but boy we sure love making hash when we do!

rtebalt

@brchbell 94968 wrote:

Skillet Hash
      About 2 cups chopped cooked Beef
      2 cups chopped cooked potatoes
      some chopped onion
      A little snipped Parsley if you’d like
      dash of salt & pepper
      1/4 cup oil or shortening
      2/3 cup gravy or water

combine beef, potatoes, onion, parsely, salt & pepper. heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Spread meat mixture in skillet.

Brown hash 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently with wide spatula. Stir in gravy or water. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10 minutes or until crisp.

We rarely have left overs but boy we sure love making hash when we do!

Thanks! COuld I also have the crockpot roast recipe? Thanks so much! 🙂

brchbell

I’m sure there are a lot of folks who could do roast better than me. I’m home full time but between home schooling and running the farm I run full tilt all day 4:30 am until 10Pm if I’m lucky! When I do a roast I grab it out of the freezer –Yes it’s quite frozen! I rub it down with dry onion soup mix and then I put Quartered potatoes and baby carrots in then put the roast on top. I usually add a can of beef broth also. Put it on low and head out the door to start chores. If I know we’ll be having dinner early I will put it on high for a couple hours then turn it to low. I let it cook 10 to 12 hours usually- on by 5am and eat around 4 or5 PM. My family likes it falling apart and I don’t have a lot of time so this is easy and it always turns out.

rtebalt

@brchbell 94984 wrote:

I’m sure there are a lot of folks who could do roast better than me. I’m home full time but between home schooling and running the farm I run full tilt all day 4:30 am until 10Pm if I’m lucky! When I do a roast I grab it out of the freezer –Yes it’s quite frozen! I rub it down with dry onion soup mix and then I put Quartered potatoes and baby carrots in then put the roast on top. I usually add a can of beef broth also. Put it on low and head out the door to start chores. If I know we’ll be having dinner early I will put it on high for a couple hours then turn it to low. I let it cook 10 to 12 hours usually- on by 5am and eat around 4 or5 PM. My family likes it falling apart and I don’t have a lot of time so this is easy and it always turns out.

Thanks! This sounds delicious! I’m gonna have to try this! My hubbie would love a nice roast with potatoes and carrots! (Maybe I’ll add some small onions too.) Ooh, my mouth is watering! Thanks so much! 🙂

JoAnn

brchbell, I make my roast the same way you do,but I add 2 0r 3 onions. And by the time I get home from work after cooking it slow all day, it is so good. The family likes it falling apart also.

suey

I always put a cheap roast roast in the crock pot with onion soup mix. The gravy is great and the hot beef sandwithces are to better…I serve them with fries and cheese and make poutine…Yummy!!

BellaInara

This makes me want a crock pot. I have yet to find one cheap enough for my budget. I’m happy with the bread maker that I just got for 10.00.

Loved tonight’s meal. Veggie Beef Soup (made with leftovers) and fresh made bread.

Shannon

mdowdy

I always use my leftover roast for soups and stews. I have been known to put the leftover roast in freezer bags until I want to make the soup or stew. By time it cooks all day you can’t tell if it was frozen or not.

brchbell

I was able to clip a $10 off Rival Crockpot coupon out of the paper in November and Wal-Mart had a Rival Crockpot on sale for $37 and it had a $10 rebate and a little dip crock pot free with it. So I got both of them for $17. Hope you can find a bargain soon!

JoAnn

Also go to Rival web site looking for a coupon. Or if no luck there, you could alway go thrift shopping. Maybe post on your local freecycle site also. Good luck .

JoAnn

Shannon,
      Go to Rival’s web site looking for a coupon. You could also go thrift shopping if you have the time. Check out your local Freecycle site one the web too. Good luck in your search.

DohDohBird

I found a Rival 6 qt Crock Pot at the thrift store for $12. Keep an eye out. For some reason, people are always getting rid of the most time-valuable appliance in their kitchens! lol

BellaInara

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking at my local Goodwill for a few weeks, but none so far. Unfortunately, I need to find a newer model that is UL regulated, as we have bad wiring in the house.

I’ve also been on Freecycle (Love that place, first place I go to for anything) The last one that was on there was said to be working. But in PM, I found out that they had cut the cord off. Which means it wasn’t working.

I think that the coupon route will be the best for me. I’ll have to see if some post holiday sales happen in this area for them. Or just hope for a Christmas present from the in-laws.

Shannon

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Left Over Layering Beef Stew from roast?