What do I do with 5+ pounds of black eyed peas?

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes What do I do with 5+ pounds of black eyed peas?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      dyankee1995

Good Morning!

My neighbor gave me over 5 pounds of black eyed peas and snaps. They are frozen, so I’m not sure if they are precooked or not. I am not a bean person, so I have no idea what to do with them. I figure I can make some kind of ham and bean soup with some of them, but what other options do I have?

TIA,
      Debbie

FreebieQueen

* 4 ounces butter
      * 1/2 cup chopped onion
      * 1/2 clove garlic, finely minced
      * 12 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
      * 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed, or about 4 cups cooked and drained
      * 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
      * 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
      * salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:
      In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and sauté until golden in color; add garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer. Turn heat to low and add cheese, stirring until melted. Add the black-eyed peas, chopped jalapeno and green chiles. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot in slow cooker or in a chafing dish.
      Serves 8.

FreebieQueen

Ingredients:

* 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
      * 1/2 to 1 cup diced ham
      * 2 cloves garlic, minced
      * 1 medium onion, chopped
      * 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
      * 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
      * 1 habanero pepper, or less, seeds and stem removed, very finely minced (use rubber gloves)
      * 1 can coconut milk, unsweetened (14 to 16 oz)
      * 1/4 cup water or broth
      * 3 cups hot cooked rice

Preparation:
      Soak black-eyed peas overnight; drain. Combine peas with ham, garlic, onion, thyme, pepper, minced habanero, coconut milk, and water in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 to 12 hours. Before serving, mix in rice (You can make the rice the night before and refrigerate; add to peas about 30 minutes before serving, turn to high, and heat through). Serves 4 to 6.

FreebieQueen

Ingredients:

* 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, rinsed, and soaked
      * 1 medium onion, finely chopped
      * 6 slices bacon, 1-inch dice
      * 1 teaspoon dry mustard
      * salt
      * freshly ground black pepper
      * 1/4 cup preserved ginger, chopped
      * 3/4 cup honey

Preparation:
      Drain and rinse the beans; cover with fresh water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Add water to keep them from drying out, if necessary.

Preheat oven to 325°. In a heavy skillet, saute onion and bacon over medium heat until onion is golden and bacon is crisp. Drain off fat and stir bacon and onion into beans. Add mustard and salt and pepper, to taste. Add ginger; combine well. Turn into a 2-quart baking dish; drizzle with the honey. Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours. Remove the cover the last 30 minutes to brown the top.
      Serves 4.

FreebieQueen

1 pound Bow Ties or Wagon Wheels or other medium pasta shape, uncooked
      1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
      1 medium Onion; chopped
      1 Jalapeno pepper — seeded and chopped
      OR
      1/2 teaspoon Dried jalapeno flakes
      3 cloves Garlic; chopped
      1 Green bell pepper — seeded and chopped
      28 ounces Canned crushed tomatoes
      10 ounces Frozen black-eyed peas — prepared according to directions
      OR
      2 c. fresh (not dried) black-eyed peas — rinsed and drained
      1 tablespoon Cider vinegar
      3 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro
      OR
      1 tablespoon Dried cilantro
      Salt and black pepper (to taste)

Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute the onion, jalapeno, garlic and pepper until softened, about three minutes. Add tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes partially covered. Stir occasionally.

Add the black-eyed peas, vinegar and cilantro. Cover and simmmer an additional 10 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Toss gently with cooked pasta and serve immediately.

FreebieQueen

9 slices bacon — cut into 1/2 inch pieces
      1 small onion — chopped
      2 cloves garlic — minced
      4 cups water
      6 cups fresh black-eyed peas — shelled
      1 small jalapeno pepper — chopped
      1/2 teaspoon black pepper
      1 cup ham — cooked and minced

Directions:

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven. Drain bacon and set aside.

Saute onion and garlic in reserved drippings until tender. Add water, peas, jalapeno and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.

Add bacon, ham and green onions, and cook an additional 15 minutes.

FreebieQueen

4 cups rice, cooked
      1 cup black-eyed peas, cooked
      1 cup ground sausage
      1/4 cup chopped celery
      1/4 cup chopped onion
      3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
      1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions:

Cook rice and black-eye peas separately and at the same time. Pan-fry remaining ingredients until brown.

Blend all ingredients together in a casserole with cover. Place in 350ºF. oven. Bake 15 minutes.

FreebieQueen

Sweet -n- Sour Black Eyed Peas
      5 C. Fresh of black eye peas, drained
      1/4 cup of molasses
      1/4 cup of vinegar
      1 teaspoon of dry mustard
      1 teaspoon of garlic powder
      4 pineapple slices
      Brown sugar

Combine black – eye peas, molasses, vinegar, mustard and garlic powder. Pour mixture into shallow 2 quart casserole dish. Top with pineapple slices. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 375ºF. for 40 minutes. Serves 8.

JoAnn

These are some good recipes, really full of vitiams for the non-meat eaters. Sounds sooo good too.

HSLINKS

well New Years is almost here .. So you need to make some New Years Eve and eat on both days .. save out some of the blackeyed peas and let dry .. stick in wallet – supposed to mean you won’t be broke for the new year

Ria

JoAnn

I’ve never heard of this one, Debbie you’ll have to send sme of those black eyed peas to all of us here on the site. I would love not to be broke at times.

mos

send ’em to me! LOL! actually most of the types of recipes that I would have recommended have been made. I just couldn’t resist replying when I saw the title of your post;-)

Janice Terrell

Shouldn’t read recipes like this if you haven’t had lunch yet! They sound so good I don’t know which one to start with. Thanks for the recipes.

Niddi

our traditional New Year meal is hoppin john over rice, pork chops, collard greens and cornbread, suppose to bring you health, luck and money in the new year. several years ago I cut out the pork chops and use pork sausage in a different hoppin john recipe given to me by a friend. similar to some others already posted, with a little variation.

2 cans bush blackeye peas (just cook your frozen ones according to directions)
      saute: 2 cloves of garlic, 1 lg diced onion, 1/2 green pepper
      fry 1 lb sausage, drain.
      2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp oregano, salt & pepper to taste, (optional hot sauce)
      2 cans diced tomatoes
      combine all in a large pot and cook about 1/2 hour. serve over rice

leeannhoy28

I thought you just had to eat them. Maybe that’s why I am still broke!! LOL

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes What do I do with 5+ pounds of black eyed peas?