Healthy Cooking Techniques and Diabetes

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Diabetic Recipes & Supplies, etc Healthy Cooking Techniques and Diabetes

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      wilbe95

Healthy Cooking Techniques and Diabetes

From: The Joslin Diabetes Center at Joslin Diabetes Center

You can enjoy tasty, healthy meals at home when you have diabetes by making a few changes to the way you choose and prepare food. There are things you can do in the kitchen to lower fat and cholesterol in the foods you serve, without losing flavor. Judy Giusti, MS, RD, LDN, CDE, at Joslin Diabetes Center, gives some advice on healthy cooking techniques for people with diabetes that the entire family can enjoy.

Choose Wisely
      * Choose leaner cuts of meats. Buy select cuts instead of prime.
      * Eat seafood twice a week. Good choices are salmon, sardines, and mackerel.
      * Limit processed food like hot dogs, ham, and deli meat.
      * Limit red meat. Have no more than 4 ounces, three times a week.
      * Buy extra lean ground beef or use ground turkey or chicken.
      * Eat a large amount of vegetables. Half your plate should be veggies at every meal.

Cook Wisely
      * Use cooking spray or small amounts of olive or canola oil instead of butter.
      * Grill, broil, bake, and stir fry instead of frying.
      * Steam vegetables in water or low sodium broth.
      * Remove the skin before cooking chicken and turkey.
      * Trim any visible fat off of meat before cooking.
      * Use herbs and spices to season rather than salt.
      * Refrigerate soups, stews and gravy. Skim the fat off the surface before serving.
      * Rinse canned vegetables before cooking.
      * Be careful of cross contamination. Don’t use the same plate or container for raw and cooked food. Throw out anything left out for two hours or more.

A Word about Dairy
      * Try low fat cheeses, skim or low-fat milk, and low-fat and non-fat yogurt.
      * Use evaporated skim milk when making cream sauces.
      * Cook with an egg substitute.
      * Try fat-free half and half in coffee.
      * Use small amounts of trans fat-free margarine.

JoAnn

Kim, This part of the forum with info, was really lacking till I asked you for more info. I really do hope it helps a few out here. THKS.

wilbe95

Thank you. Wonder if I can talk the bosses into letting me count this as some work time :Drogar-Smile(LBG): wouldn’t that just be heaven to get paid to find the freebies, add a couple posts and help.

Baggz1971

Thanks for this information. We are both diabetic and don’t eat like we should.

tsgal

Over half of my DM family are diabetics, and I’m already seeing the signs of it. So I’ve been watching what I eat and how much. Thanks for the information Kim.

tinkb13

Thankyou for this post it will help greatly.eat drink smilie

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Diabetic Recipes & Supplies, etc Healthy Cooking Techniques and Diabetes