Help please

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      redring

I want to pre set up meals in containers. Like jar mixes but main dishes other than soup. We buy so many boxed meals to save time even though I LOVE to cook.

Will anyone help me figure out what meals I can start with. All I am finding is deserts and a few soups in a jar. We are a two person household so I believe I can use jars as containers.

rtebalt

A great book you could get would be one of Robin Miller’s “Quick Fix Meals” books. (You can see her show on Food Network if you get that channel.) These aren’t “jar” meals, but she teaches you how to take a few ingredients & do a little bit of prep one day a week (like on the weekend) & then you can turn it into several quick meals through the week. (And they are nice meals too!) Hope this helps!

mdowdy

Im not sure about meals in a jar. This is an interesting question

jaime

I have a book called “Gifts in a Jar; One Dish Meals”, it is dirtributed by cq products, isbn 1-56383-136-8 and lists for $10.95 US.

There are many recipes in the book that when finished are a lot like Hamburger Helper.

Hope this helps!
      Jaime

hs4hmom

Well, I’m not sure you are really interested in the following but here goes…

you could do a modified once a month cooking–making a large batch of food. Eat one portion for supper and freeze the rest in meal size portions for later dates.

you could learn to can foods. You’d be amazed at what you can do with pressure canning and boiling water bath canning. Some $$$ to start up but you could can some meals–several meals worth in one effort–like oamc but without the freezer part.

but there also tons of hamburger helper type meals out there where you would just add the meat. cook up the meat ahead of time and freeze it for a quick thaw to add.

hth

redring

I think jaime hit the nail on the head. DH likes non frozen foods. I keep telling him it is in his head but all the same I have to deal with his grumpyness.

Ill look for the book thanks!! Thank you all for helping.

redring

DH jumped right up and offerd a trip to B&N so I could get the book there was another too “everyday meals” he said I could have both. 🙂 They will be here friday. (There were none in store) Ill let you all know how its goes.

flickertail26

One thing I did was make chili and canned it. I made a HUGE pot one fall and canned about 8 quarts so for the winter months when I was either away or at work my hubby just had to open it up and heat it up. As it “aged” it got even better.

You could also can beef stew as well. Just open up a can of stew and cook some noodles and you have a hearty meal.

redring

I received my books!! I have been making a recipe at a time. if we like it i make a jar lable with cooking instructions and refill instructions.

i have only decided on one recipe i make right now that can be turned into a jar recipe. i still have to test it though. it was supposed to be made with boxed rice mix but i dont really see why regular rice and two tbs bouillon wont do.

i have been trying to use all the boxes of mixes in my cubord and replace with containers of home made mixes. we have already reduced our gerocerie bill. 🙂

starsinnight

if anyone wants me to email them an online file with 150 recipes (most in jars) that i bought years ago on ebay… i can. 🙂 i used to use it alot but havent made anything from it for awhile now.

just pm me with your email.

BellaInara

@redring 91746 wrote:

there was another too “everyday meals”

What was the name of this book? I’d love to try and find it if it works for you. We are in a very similar situation.

Shannon

redring

the name was “every day meals” It is part of the “Gifts in a jar” book series. We have tried a few of the recipes. Most used ingredients we had in the kitchen.

🙂 dh likes them so they are ok. not culinary master peaces. still they were good.

i have been saving my jars from spegeti sauce and salsa and useing them to keep the recipes. i made a label for one we decided was a keeper. i have a few more to do.

we also use turcku from aldi instead of beef. its a whole lot cheaper. dh is a beef man too but he has realised you tast the ingreadents more with the turcky.

now he dosent like tacos without it. 🙂

JoAnn

@jaime 91506 wrote:

I have a book called “Gifts in a Jar; One Dish Meals”, it is dirtributed by cq products, isbn 1-56383-136-8 and lists for $10.95 us.

there are many recipes in the book that when finished are a lot like hamburger helper.

hope this helps!
      jaimei like this idea i’ll go online to find…:002:

JoAnn

@redring 95828 wrote:

the name was “every day meals” It is part of the “Gifts in a jar” book series. We have tried a few of the recipes. Most used ingredients we had in the kitchen.

🙂 dh likes them so they are ok. not culinary master peaces. still they were good.

i have been saving my jars from spegeti sauce and salsa and useing them to keep the recipes. i made a label for one we decided was a keeper. i have a few more to do.

we also use turcku from aldi instead of beef. its a whole lot cheaper. dh is a beef man too but he has realised you tast the ingreadents more with the turcky.

now he dosent like tacos without it. :)this sounds really great. i’ll have to start saving a few jars and try these.

thks

redring

no problem! have fun!

Momo

I’d LOVE to have meals-in-a-jar recipes! Especially ones for just 2 people. I have lots of canning jars and freezer containers. I love to cook, but we have busy days when I’m just too tired. I tried making my version of the military’s MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) for my son when he was in college, but he didn’t like them frozen.

leeannhoy28

I have never tried to can food, I have always froze it. I would love the meal in a jar receipes to give it a whirl! Thanks.

redring

oh! they have been easy. You can actually use any recipe that has mostly dry ingreadents or ingreadents you can buy in dryed form (wich is most anything). Did you know you can buy powderd butter??? Its in one of the books. I was verry superised. Ok so I am happy others are interested. YAY! I want to see what recipes I cook can convert. I have 1 in a jar but havent cooked it yet to see how my modifacations do. Its a southwest rice dish. Everyone loves it. I bring it to potluck lunches and DH always asks me to make it. Unfortunantly its maine ingreadent is boxed chicken rice. I measered out the rice last time I cooked it and wrote down how much there was and how much chicken powder. now I just need to try and see how it dose. I am going to use regular long grain rice I hope that works. Ill post the recipe as soon as I have it worked out. Anyone else have any ideas??

brchbell

Have you gotten the “Better Than a Box” cookbook? By KATIE KIMBALL | KITCHENSTEWARDSHIP.COM She has recipes and shows you how to make your own mixes. It was like $10 and worth every penny of it!

xstepmom

Also, have you tried the 3,400+ Mixes here on the site? They’re all free and you don’t have to wait for a book to arrive

Budget101.com – – Make Your Own Mixes | Dirt Cheap Homemade Mixes from Budget101.com

That was how I found this site to begin with, I’d never seen so many great Mix/ make ahead, DIY convenience foods in one spot for Free!

FreebieQueen

The dump recipes section might help you too, they are usually 10 minutes or less: Budget101.com – – Dump Recipes | Slow Cooker Recipes from Budget101

and here is a forum for them as well:

Dump Recipes

You could also make up a few “Meal Baskets” ahead of time:

Budget101.com – – Gift Basket Meals | Homemade Gift Ideas for Families

saturdaynightfever

You could also just get a pressure cooker to make last minute meals, even with frozen foods instead of trying to store everything in jars. I got one a few months ago and I don’t even bother thawing out meat any more. It takes less than 30 minutes from freezer to table.

jenifer

I have seen some jar mixes for rice meals- you just have to add the veggies and meat. Let me know if you would like me to find them for you. I’ll keep an eye out for other meal ideas.

mos

redring, glad that you were able to locate those books and I’m sure that you’ll put them to good use. Always thinking of myself as a resource person, I want to suggest some options to add to the use of your books. There are some fabulous recipes here at cooking for two. Something to consider is sort of like OAMC (recommended by hs4hmom) and prepare meals from the cooking for two forum and then freezing the main dish portions for use later in the week…adding sides is quick and easy. OR, consider the menus here for ideas. I’m pretty sure that most of those menus are for more than two people, with one exception…MEgiggle smiley I’m a single but cook for at least four. I do this so that I have lunches and future meals from the freezer. If you are unsure how to prepare any of the meals, I am ABSOLUTELY positive that everyone will be glad to provide a recipe! We are a very friendly bunch and glad to lend a helping hand as you may have noticedgiggle smiley

KrousQueen

I would like to have your file of recipes, or the title of the book.
      Thank you

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.