MYO-Fabric Gift Bags

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      wilbe95

MYO-Fabric Gift Bags

MYO-Fabric Gift Bags make beautiful, personal and unique gift wraps for all gift-giving occassions.

To make your own gift bags, start by gathering all the scrap material you can lay your hands on (old clothes work :)). The Gift Bags will look richer and last longer if they are lined, so collect any fabric you can get your hands on, no matter how plain, for the inside of the bag. Old cotton bedsheet material works well for this.
      Simple to make. Here’s how:

1. Cut two pieces of your fabric and two pieces of the lining material all to the same size. Any size, any shape rectangle. A variety of sizes is useful, and square or “close to square” rectangles are the most versatile shapes.

2. Put each fabric piece on top of each lining piece, fold over the top edges and sew. Just the top edges. Now you’ve hemmed the opening edge of the Gift Bag.

3. Stack both sets of fabric with the lining (inside) faces to the outside. The decorative fabric pieces will be facing each other on the inside of the “sandwich”. Be sure the hemmed edges are both on top. Sew the three un-hemmed edges with a simple running stitch, 1/4″ in from the edge.

4. Turn inside out. Set a generous length of ribbon about 2″ down from the top, and tack it to the bag with a few stitches in the middle of the ribbon length.

That’s all there is to it! The bags are ready to use, or ready to give as gifts themselves.

rtebalt

This is a fantastic idea! I have tons of scrap material & I’m always in need of gift bags! Thanks!

brchbell

I found also if at the bottom of the bag before you put them together, if you set it flat the sides will make triangle edges out and you can sew across those and your bag will have a nice flat bottom. I could sure show this easier than explain it! LOL!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.