Premeditated Leftover Challenge

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Left Over Layering Premeditated Leftover Challenge

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author
      Liss

image not available

The Challenge Question is :

when we prepare meals for our families we often choose a meal that we can extend to the next day (aka leftovers!) hit the reply button & share your left over layering meal ideas below. include the first day main meal & what you transform the leftovers into on the 2nd (& 3rd day!)

Here’s an Example:

One of our families favorite dishes is Moms Homemade Meatloaf. When Making the dish, I’ll frequently make 2-3 and freeze one for later using my foodsaver vacuum system. It doesn’t take any extra time to double or triple the batch and then I have meal ready to go when I’m in a hurry due to sports, late night at work, etc.

Meal 1: The First Night we’ll have Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy.
      Meal 2: Meatloaf Sandwiches
      Meal 3: If there’s any meatloaf left, I’ll cut it into cubes and add it to spaghetti sauce for Spaghetti & Meatballs.

Wondering How to Play? hit the reply button and answer the challenge question! (seriously, that’s it)

What is the Goodie Giveaway for this Challenge?

Foodsaver Vacuum Seal System

[b101][/b101]

Curious

Interesting challenge Budget101! Okay, here are our premeditated leftovers Ideas

Meal 1: Grill Chicken breasts for Dinner, serve with grilled potato wedges & veggies (whatever we have on hand)
      Meal 2: Cut up leftover grilled chicken into Chicken salad sandwiches add halved grapes and chopped celery for a kick of sweetness and crunchiness
      Meal 3: Make homemade chicken Pot pie out of the remaining grilled chicken. Only about a cup and a half tops is needed.

The pot pie filling can be served over biscuits too, instead of having to make a pie crust if you’re not in the mood!

jmower71

First night roast chicken
      then leftovers used for sandwiches
      and the rest are made in soup

SueMeserve

The first day it’s whole roast chicken, carrots , potatoes and gravy
      Day 2 is chicken salad sandwiches or on a green salad
      Day 3 is chicken pot pie , using all the leftover chicken, veggies and gravy , topped with a crust or if I have leftover biscuits, they go on top. Or how about some chicken noodle soup? use chicken, carrots , add noodles and broth, and if there’s gravy left over?

well throw it in for even more flavor.

SueMeserve

Latoya302

Day one: Rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy and mixed vegetables.
      Day two: Chicken pot pie with diced chicken, mixed vegetables, refrigerated pie crust, cream of chicken soup and whatever other seasonings.
      Day three: Chicken and rice soup or chicken salad sandwiches.

brookekrenek

Meal 1: Steak served with baked potatoes and asparagus.
      Meal 2: Cut up steak, saute with onions and bell peppers (add seasoning to taste and personal preference). Serve on hoagies for Philly Cheese Steak. Top with cheese of your choice.

Give it a kick by adding jalapeños and topping with queso!
      Meal 3: Take leftover steak from Phillies, warm, and have quesadillas (steak, cheese, even the onions and bell peppers, tortillas)

HSingleton

My favorite thing to cook is roasted chicken. Here’s what happens to the leftovers:
      Day 1: Lemon roasted chicken, sides are spinach salad with all the in-season veggies, & either mashed potatoes, or stuffing.
      Day 2: Chicken enchiladas with yellow rice & black beans.
      Day 3: Chicken potpies.

nolleezmom

Meal 1:Roast beef served with roasted potatoes and carrots, yorkshire pudding and gravy.
      Meal 2:Roast beef dip made with thinly sliced roast beef served on fresh crusty buns with hot au jus dip made with store bought pkgd au jus mix and fresh green salad.
      Meal 3:Quick to make stew with diced roast beef,leftover roasted potatoes,carrots,au jus,gravy and add any other veggie you may have leftover in the fridge peas,corn etc. Serve with warm fresh bread or biscuits.

nlongoria09

Chicken enchiladas, bbq chicken sandwiches, and chicken machaca

lucygoose

A big pot of pinto beans goes a long way at our house.
      I start out with the beans, served with rice, cornbread, and fried potatoes with onions.
      Day two, if we don’t just eat the same yumminess we had on day one, I “refry” some of the beans and we have burritos, also using leftover fried potatoes
      Day three, if any beans are left, I put them in chili and have the leftover cornbread and tortillas from days one and two.
      Any leftover chili gets frozen for Frito chili pie at a later time.
      The beans can also be frozen after the first meal if you’re not in the mood for burritos or chili.

Madiks

1. Roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy, a green vegetable and salad
      2. Chop or shred leftover roast beef and add enchilada seasoning and make beef enchilada casserole with refried beans and Mex rice

Use leftover seasoned beef to make tacos or taco salad, served with leftover beans and rice.
      I would not necessarily serve these meals within 3 days, that is why I need to win the food saver so I can freeze and serve later.

BonAsher

Left-over beef pot roast prepared in the slow cooker is used for beef stroganoff for one meal, and then it is chopped or shredded, gravy added, vegetables (often times small portions of left-over veggies) added to make beef stew. The stew usually manages to provided a couple of meals since there are only the two of us.

luckybolide

cloud9  smilie We’re not vegetarian but we are trying to find meatless ways to eat on a budget because we really cant afford the prices of meat lately.

Here’s our Leftover Layering, premeditated plan

1. Cook a Giant Pot of Lentils
      2. Lentil Avocado Salad

Seared lentil Burgers
      4. Lentil Enchiladas w/ Bechamel Sauce

First, cook a big batch of lentils
      2 ½ cups French green lentils (rinsed & picked over)
      6 cups water (or to cover by about 2 inches
      ½ teaspoon salt
      1 bay leaf, optional

Don’t skip rinsing and picking over the lentils, I promise you that a broken tooth from an accidental stone is a lot more expensive than you think!
      Put the lentils in a big stock pot and cover with water. Add salt and the bay leaf, bring it to a boil, then reduce it and simmer about 45 minutes. Don’t overcook them, you want them tender, but not mushy.

After all, no one wants a mushy salad! Let them Cool Completely, Drain them and remove the bay leaf. Stick them in the fridge until you need them.

For the Salad:

Preserved lemon peel, approximately 1 tablepsoon or equal to ½ of a lemon, fruit and peel (no seeds)
      1 cup fresh parsley
      2 to 4 cloves garlic
      ½ cup olive oil
      Combine the ingredients, blitz and then pour over cooked lentils.

Top with Fresh diced avocado! YUM.

For Seared Lentil Burgers:
      In a food processor blitz the following together just until combined:
      1 cup fully cooked lentils, well-drained
      2 slices bread (small) or 1 large piece of sandwich bread
      1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion or leek
      about 4 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
      1 to 2 fresh green onions
      2 cloves garlic
      1 teaspoon cumin
      1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
      1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
      1 egg
      1 tablespoons olive oil
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      Form into patties, fry in hot oil. Serve on burger buns with fresh sliced tomato, onions, pickled peppers, etc.

Lentil Enchiladas
      For the filling, you will need:
      4 cups cooked lentils
      Zest of one orange
      1 9-ounce box of spinach, kale or other mixed greens (6 to 8 cups, loosely packed)
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      ½ cup diced onion or leeks
      1 medium or 2 or 3 small zucchini (washed, diced)
      Approximately 8 ounces of boursin-pepper cheese, or pepper goat cheese
      12 to 14 medium size (fajita size – 6 to 8-inches) flour tortillas

heat the oil in a skillet, add the onions, saute until translucent. Add the zucchini, saute until tender, add the greens, saute until lightly wilted, add the orange zest.
      Assemble enchiladas- scoop of cooked lentils, scoop of sauteed vegetables, sprinkle of cheese.Repeat until 9×13 baking dish is full. Cover with cheese over top, then drizzle with Bechamel sauce.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
      For the béchamel sauce, you will need:
      5 tablespoons butter
      1/3 cup all-purpose flour
      4 cups milk
      1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
      1 ½ teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
      ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
      1 large egg, beaten (optional)
      In a saucepan melt butter, whisk in flour, salt and pepper, cook for 3 minutes. Add half the milk, whisking to ensure no lumps, add rest of the milk, add nutmeg, simmer about 7-8 minutes until nice and thick. Temper the egg in a dish on the side, then add it to the sauce, cook another couple of mintues.

brlrcr314

My first meal is baked chicken with potatoes, carrots, onions and celery.

Second meal is chicken potpie (only need grands biscuits and gravy)

Third meal is chicken tacos (Only need tortillas and cheese)

Fourth meal (since it is just my husband and I now) usually there is enough fat and meat around the bones to boil up for a small pot of chicken soup. (Need to add a few more vegetables)
      And the left over tortillas i coat them with a small amount of butter and shredded cheese to make grill cheese sandwich to go along with the soup.

rosemary416

Steak, potatoes and veggies the first day
      Day 2 cut up steak and add to rice and veggies
      day 3 steak and cheese with salsa in a tortilla for a quesadiea

sstar81

There are many meals I make from leftovers from an Oven Roasted Chicken with vegetables. This chicken creates a yummy chicken stock that can be used with many meals and there is always leftover chicken and vegetables. I never toss leftovers they are way better the next day.

I usually make a dish for supper or lunch the next day and freeze the rest of the chicken for other meals. If I didn’t freeze the chicken we would be eating chicken for a week since there are only the two of us now.
      Meal 1: Oven Roasted Chicken with potatoes, carrots, celery and onions
      Meal 2: Cream of Chicken and Biscuits I use some of the stock to make a gravy for the cream of chicken and chop up some of the chicken and leftover vegetables. I put this in a casserole dish and add drop biscuits on top and bake.
      Meal 3: Chicken Dijon using some of the stock and cubed chicken and with egg noodles best with homemade noodles
      Meals 4: Chicken Salad for lunch
      Meal 5: Caesars Salad

notUrAvgBear

Premeditated Leftovers:

At the beginning of the week make up some All purpose Ground Beef Mix, or the Beef Mushroom Freezer Mix all of the meals listed below use it.

Meal 1: Southwestern Hamburger Skillet
      Meal 2: Hamburger Helper Chili Mac
      Meal 3. Shepherds Pie
      Meal 4: Beef Chow Mein
      Meal 5: Quick n Easy Beef Chili Soup

Southwestern Hamburger Skillet

4 cups Hot, Cooked egg noodles
      1 (10 oz) can condensed tomato soup or enchilada sauce
      1 lb pkg ground beef mix
      Salt to taste
      1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
      Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
      Sour cream for garnish
      3 green onions, sliced, for garnish

Prepare egg noodles according to package directions and drain. In a large skillet, combine thawed package of ground beef mix, tomato soup & beans to ground beef, season to taste.
      Add noodles and stir gently to combine. Top with cheese, sour cream and green onions if desired before serving.

Hamburger Help Chili Mac Casserole

1 pkg ground beef mix
      1 C. water
      1/2 C. macaroni or wide egg noodles
      2 cans chopped/diced tomatoes (un-drained)
      1 T.

chili powder
      1/2 C. Homemade Hamburger Help Basic Seasoning mix

Combine all and simmer 20 minutes or until macaroni is cooked. By the way, egg noodles cook in less than half the amount of time.!

Quick-n-Easy Beef Chili Soup:
      2 pkgs Ground Beef Mix (2 pounds)
      1 minced onion
      1 can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
      1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
      1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
      2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
      2 tablespoons dried cilantro or parsley flakes
      2 teaspoons ground cumin
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
      3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato juice.

Combine all of the ingredients in a stock pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 15-20 minutes on low while you bake some cornbread. Serve hot with cornbread and butter.

PATRICIA67

Meal 1: Ham cooked low and slow all day with couple sides like mac and cheese and some baked beans.
      Meal 2: Chop up some leftover ham for ham and cheese omelets.
      Meal 3: Take the ham bone that I leave a little meat on put in crock pot with great northern beans, cook them all day, fry up some potatoes and onions, and bake some corn bread.

AndreaGwyn

Meal 1 baked chicken, usually hind quarters
      Meal 2 chicken salad sandwiches
      Meal 3 I debone the chicken put it in a crock pot with barbecue sauce, let it slow cook all day, usually make barbecue chicken pizza
      Part of meal 4 I boil up the bones and skins to make chicken stock.

shans6522

Here is our extended meals!
      1) Spaghetti
      2) Second Night – Spaghetti leftover to Chili
      3) Third Night – Chili leftover to Fantastic Vegetable soup!!!!
      Sincerely, Shanna Bowyer Sears of Chesterfield, In

sstar81

Here is another dish that goes along way in my house and what better time of year to enjoy a hot bowl of chili on a cold day to warm us up.

Meal 1: Chili
      Meal 2: Chili Mac I use small shells for this. I cook up the shells and add to the chili
      Meal 3: Loaded Baked Potato. I bake some potatoes and put chili, onions and cheddar cheese on top

Mea 4: In a casserole dish and layer Hormel Tamales, Chili, Onions, Black Olives sliced , enchilada sauce and Shredded Cheddar Cheese and you can microwave or bake this It takes about 10 minutes to microwave and 30 minutes to bake. I use a loaf pan you get more layers.

Froggirl80

Pot Roast turned Beef Stew
      Meal 1: Pot roast (roast, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion)
      Meal 2: Beef Stew- pull the leftover roast into small pieces, cut the vegetables into smaller bite sized pieces, put it all in a pot (including all of the leftover juice) add additional carrots and/or potatoes if there’s not much left. Gradually add flour (or instant potatoes) to thicken, salt and pepper to taste. I grew up knowing every time we had pot roast, the next night would be the best stew ever!

vmariewilson

To be fair.. i am a single grandmother.. but when i do cook, i keep my family in mind!

everything i make has leftovers which i make into another meal or two!

Roasted whole chicken, and green beans first night, with the left overs i will then make flautas and freeze and if more chicken is available, a small order of enchiladas.. now i do add additional items to each, like cheese, onions, maybe black beans and anything else i can manage.. !!

i also portion them all into one dish and freeze, so when a family member comes over.. they can pick and chose what they want! they love it, everyone can have have something different!

its great for a pot luck night!!! cloud9  smiliepiggy bankpiggy bankpiggy bankpiggy bank

Mary11

I almost always have premeditated leftovers every tine I cook. the latest one is:

meal #1 London Broil with mashed potatoes, green beans and brownies for dessert.
      meal #2 sliced meat on a mixed greens salad or repeat of meal #1.
      meal #3 slice remaining meat and add to tomato base to make Swiss steak and serve over rice or noodles.

Mary11

One of my favorites is a large ham with sweet potatoes, peas, salad and pie for desert.
      Day two cube some of the ham to make scalloped potatoes and ham casserole, and salad
      Day three mince some of the ham for ham salad for sandwiches or salads
      portion remaining ham to freeze and make navy bean and ham soup with bone and shreds of ham

Minagain

My layering go to is pork (or chicken tacos) the first night I cook pork roast. (Boneless roast , 2 tbsp of oil, minced rosemary, cracked pepper, mix in small bowl let sit for at least thirty minutes , I actually use this as my favorite infused oil) salt roast with kosher salt and rub oil over entire roast. Place 2 large carrots 1 small onion and 3 or four leave celery stalks in roasting pan, place roast directly on veggies.

Add 1/2 cup of wine ( what ever is open) or chicken stock. Bake at 350 for 38 minutes per pound (for medium) let stand for 10 minutes. Strain and reserve juices for next day!
      Pork tacos, slice pork and put in sauce pan add pan juices and chicken stock to just cover pork, add diced onion and minced garlic.

1 tsp of ground oregano per cup of meat. (I add cumin and sometimes a coule of tablespoons of packaged taco seasoning) to mine to taste. Let simmer until pork pulls apart with two forks.
      Drain meat reserving stock, pull pork and return to pan, add enough stock to be really juicy ( just so you can see some liquid) add in 1/2 fine diced onion and chopped cilantro, bring to a boil and turn to low simmer.

in a seperate bowl mix two tbsp of left over stock with 1 tsp if corn starch and temper with hot stock from your saucepan. Add to meat and summer till thickened. You may need to add more thickener if you have lots of meat.

You want it just thick enough to stick to the meat. Serve with your favorite taco fixings. To use left overs add a little more of the stock to loosen the meat.

Serve on tostado shells ( a very small amount of pork goes a long way)with refried beans. 1 roast 3 meals! I also make this with left over chicken!

raine681

Meal 1: Large Pot roast with extra potatoes, carrots, onions.
      Meal 2: Cut into pieces add brown gravy and make a stew.
      Meal 3: Pot roast sandwich
      Meal 4: if anything left.. put on a salad

brit59brat

My absolute favorite is ribs in the crock pot and pulled pork the next day. Super super yum. And easy because the ribs in the crock pot are fall off the bone.

I’m hungry just thinking about it!!

zeppah

DAY 1: anything with mashed potatoes! Usually a protein with a mashed potatoes side
      Option 1 Day 2: Mashed Potato Pizza with bacon (recipe below)
      Option 2 Day 2: Shepherds Pie
      Day 3: Potato pancakes (add an egg, flour, cheddar cheese and scallions to your potatoes, shape into 3-inch flat rounds, dust with flour and fry up!)

ingredients:

• 2-3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
      • uncooked pizza dough (make your own or buy from grocery store)
      • 2 cups shredded cheddar
      • 8 sliced bacon, crispy cooked and crumbled
      • chives and/or sour cream (optional)

directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
      2. Grease a 6-8 inches pie or cake pan
      3. Press dough into pan, ensuring it going at lease half way up the side of the pan
      4. Sprinkle evenly half of your cheddar cheese and half of bacon onto dough
      5. Add all of your potatoes next, spreading evenly
      6. Add the remaining cheddar and bacon
      7. Bake for 20 min at 375 degrees.
      8. Cool for 10 min, and serve with sour cream and finely cut chives
      sdaneault

I usually make a beef roast in the oven, then the next day I will make either beef tostadas or Carne Asada tacos, followed the next day by steak and cheese sub sandwiches or french dip sandwiches.

GirlNeedsABike

We make tacos one night.
      Then we use the left over taco meat for taco salad. Through in some red kidney beans and chips to stretch it.

Also after thanksgiving we use the left over meat as a subsitute in our chicken enchiladas recipe.

Kellyjane

1 Baked whole chicken with noodles, gravy & corn
      2 use leftover chicken, noodles gravy & corn for chicken noodle soup
      3 Turn leftover soup into chicken pot pie ( thicken up with can cream of chicken, add more veggies if you like )..the pot pie is my family’s favorite

lostinthread

Food saver vacuum sealer!

empressnanajo

My adventure starts with a large package of hamburger (family size) and make it into mountain of meatballs.
      First meal: Spaghetti and meatballs
      Second meal: Meatball sandwiches with Mozzarella cheese on top
      Third meal: Meatballs with brown gravy and wide egg noodles
      And if I have really saved just enough I will use any remaining for
      Bonus meal: crumble up remaining meatballs for some Pasta Fagioli

quapawmom

Baked or smoked chicken is my favorite especially smoked because I can smoke a weeks worth of meat at one time!
      The first night we will have chicken with various veggies
      The second day chicken salad for lunch then turn the meat that is left and bones to broth for chicken soup. The soup will usually last us 2 meals because I feel it with lots of veggies and either noodles/rice.

Tamgts

Meal 1: Chili
      Meal 2: Chili spaghetti & garlic bread
      Meal 3 (if there’s any left) Chili bake (layer Chili, shredded cheese, and mashed potatoes and bake)

carensmith84

Night 1: We make cooked chicken breasts. We then cut up zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms add baby carrots. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and bake til browned and crispy.

Then we make mashed potatoes.

Night 2: We cut up leftover chicken breasts. Take a casserole dish and layer leftover potatoes, chicken and vegetable mix. Cover in shredded cheese and bake at 350 for about 20 min.

mailmom98

Meal 1: Spaghetti and meatballs
      Meal 2: use half of sauce and meatballs for baked ziti
      Meal 3: meatball subs

kerrybear

My first meal is a pork roast
      I save enough meat to make

2nd meal Pork tacos
      3rd meal BBQ pork steam buns (from a Jamie Oliver Cookbook- Save with Jamie) so simple!

dempsey

I also do meat loaf only turkey with white sauce. Next day becomes an alfredo like cheese. and the next add to beans to be chili and last mixed into a lasagna mess.

We love the changes and try to come up with new each time.

mistymtnmokan

Meal 1: Roast,potatoes & carrots
      Meal 2: Hot roast beef sandwiches
      Meal 3: Vegetable beef soup

wfc993

Meal 1: whole baked chicken (usually 6 #) stuffed, mixed veggies (carrots, corn, broccoli) roasted potatoes, gravy ( using entire chicken)
      Meal 2: chicken soup (boil the carcus for stock) use some of the left over chicken, veggies and potatoes, biscuits
      Meal 3: Chicken pot pie using left over chicken soup, add a little corn starch homemade bottom crust leftover stuffing on top instead of using all of the pie crust dough use the second half of that drought to make a pie for desert (usually using fruit from the week that is leftover from fruit salad from lunches on day 2
      Meal 4: last bit of chicken used for chicken quesidillas

Technically there are 2 more meals from the starting meal, because after meal 1 on the following day for lunch, I take about a cup of the chicken, celery, crasins, walnuts and apples to make chicken salad on wheat wraps and a side of fruit salad (bananas, strawberries, bluberries, and kiwi) that’s then used for a fruit pie by adding gelatin to the fruit. This chicken salad wrap and fruit salad are meal 2.5 and 3.5 technically lol 🙂

tiaharts

Round 1- I cook a large pork loin seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and either fresh or dried minced onions, in the crock pot and make BBQ sandwiches.
      Round 2 meal- Pork roast and gravy made from the broth from the roast, mashed potatoes or rice, usually broccoli and homemade biscuits.
      Round 3 meal (lunch)- Pork tacos (save some of the broth to keep meat moist and I add cumin and chili powder) with all the trimmings, spanish rice and homemade re-fried beans.

MrsThiele

Meal 1: Any meat, mashed potato and veggie
      Meal 2: Mix all leftovers, place sliced bread in sandwich maker, add meat/potato/veggie mix. Add another slice of bread on top. Close lid.

Cook until done. Instant portable meal. Good for lunch boxes.

thebrighthouse@

Meal 1: I recently discovered Carne picada in the Walmart meat case. It comes in packs of about 2 lbs. I brown it with onion and garlic and drain the fat just like ground beef.

I use half in my Crock pot Vegetable Beef Soup.

Meal 2: I use the leftover beef in tacos served with mexican rice and mexicorn.

Meal 3: I mix the leftover beef and corn into the leftover rice and have it ready for a quick lunch.

brchbell

Roast chicken the first night, followed by Chicken Pot Pie the next night and Chicken Noodle soup the 3rd night. If I get a big enough chicken I can slip a 4th meal of Chicken Enchiladas or chicken & biscuit casserole in too! My kids always loved having left over mashed potatoes so we could make Potato pancakes with them the next morning.

Leftover chicken gravy gets added into the chicken pot pie. I cover the chicken bones with water and some spices and veggies and simmer to get my own broth for the soup. I get every little bit out of the chicken.

The carrots and celery,etc that get cooked with the broth get diced up and added to the soup.

peg2012

meal 1 spaghetti and noodles
      Left overs I dived and freeze for lunches for work, some times I can get 2 to 3 lunches out of left overs for work.

Lenette

First night roast pork with roasted root vegetables,carrots potatoe & turnips. Night two pulled pork on buns with coleslaw & fruit. Night three pork tacos with chopped up remaining veggies, along with traditional toppings.

Liss

Congratulations to LuckyBollide– fantastic share!

two cents What are Budget101 Challenges? Read More Here
      two cents How are Challenge Winners Selected? Read More Here

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Left Over Layering Premeditated Leftover Challenge