Recipes » Dirt Cheap Recipes » Corn Fritters

Corn Fritters

fb iconpinterest iconpinterest iconlinkedin iconbuffer icon

corn-fritters
Looking for a way to dress up the same old canned corn side dish? Need to impress your family with a side dish they will love? Want to pour pure maple syrup on your dinner? Corn Fritters to the rescue!

Disclaimer: I have never been to visit the south so you must forgive the name of the recipe if it doesn’t follow suit. I grew up in sunny California with my mom calling these corn fritters.
When I was a child my mom would serve these with “pigs in a blanket” and pour maple syrup all over our plates for dinner. The pigs in a blanket being link breakfast sausage wrapped in refrigerator biscuits. That was definitely a dinner I looked forward to growing up. What kid wouldn’t be happy with a dinner you get to pure maple syrup all over? Definitely not an every day side dish but definitely one you look forward to making for special occasions.

I hadn’t had these in years when I decided to ask my mom for the recipe. Wouldn’t you know I’ve had the recipe the whole time in a cookbook my mom had made for me? Once I introduced this dish to my family it became an instant hit and highly requested side dish.

You’ll need:

1 can corn, drained
3 eggs
¼ cup flour
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp. melted butter
¼ cup butter and oil for frying
Maple syrup for serving

Beat eggs together in a bowl, then add corn, flour, and melted butter, and stir to combine. Add equal amounts of butter and oil to frying pan on medium-high heat. Drop fritters a few at a time into pan and fry until golden on both sides. Serve with Maple syrup.

corn-fritters

This is one of those dishes that bring up childhood memories every time it is served. There are certain main dishes that my kids associate side dishes with. This is one of those side dishes that are a must have anytime I make schnitzel. Why, I have no idea…. I’m just happy my family loves this dish as much as I did when I was a kid.

Corn Fritters can also be dropped by spoonfuls into hot oil and deep fat fried. If you want a slightly thinner batter, use a can of cream style corn instead of whole kernel corn. For a slighty healthier version, use Whole Wheat flour instead of white flour and cook the fritters in coconut oil rather than butter.

View More Dirt Cheap Recipes