Grunt

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      mos

This is one of those recipes that works with just about any leftovers available and it’s not soup! My DD emailed me and told me that my ‘throw-together-anything-works’ recipe actually has a name —
      Grunt
      12 oz leftover roast chicken, pork or beef; cut into strips
      8 oz mushrooms, sliced
      1/2 tsp dried thyme
      2 tbs unsalted butter; separated
      1/2 onion, chopped
      1/2 cup wine (use red for beef and white for chicken or pork)
      1/2 cup stock or broth (use beef for beef and chicken for chicken or pork)
      1 tbs tomato paste
      1/2 cup sour cream
      salt and pepper
      4 oz egg noodles
      Put a pot of water on high and when it boils, add egg noodles and cook per package instructions.
      Meanwhile, add mushrooms to a large, dry, non-stick skillet and sprinkle with salt.
      Cook over medium-high heat and cook until mushrooms begin to brown and give up their liquid (about 6 minutes). Turn mushrooms, sprinkle with thyme, and add 1 tbs butter. Cook until browned – about 3 minutes. Scoop mushrooms onto a plate.
      Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining butter, onions and tomato paste and cook until translucent, stirring frequently – about 5 minutes.
      Return mushrooms to skillet and add wine. Increase heat to medium high and cook until wine is reduced by half – 5 minutes. Add broth and cook five minutes more.
      Reduce heat to low, add meat, and simmer 5 minutes more.
      Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, taste and adjust seasonings. Serve over noodles, potatoes (baked, boiled, mashed, or whatever).
      weighlift  smilie

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.