Diabetes vs. Surgery

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Loridee

I have diabetes. I was looking into having the gastric bypass surgery. Have any of you had this surgery done strictly to control your diabetes?

In the last 3 months I have lost 23 lbs. by watching what I eat. Also my A1-C is at 6.0.

My doctor told me he wants me to continue eating the way I am & continue to exercise as I have been & I won’t need the invasive surgery. I really wanted to have the surgery, BUT only because it was going to be a “quick-fix” for me in losing the weight. Now that I have looked further into the surgery, I am opting to continue the eating & exercise routine that I am on..

It is much better for me in the end.. What do you think? Have you had this surgery just for the ‘quick fix”?

HawksMom48

I had Gastric Bypass surgery 12/2003 and after 11 years I truly am no better off today than I was back then! The surgery does not stop the reasons why we over eat in the first place. I am still a compulsive over eater.

My weight has been up and down and all over the place since the surgery. Initially I did lose over 80 pounds and that was great but I have gained 50 of it back because I have learned to eat less but now I eat more often! This surgery is a life altering event so please do everything else first and do not jump into it without serious thought!

Loridee

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. The more I research this the more I am leaning towards dieting & exercise with out the surgery…

Dawnd1964

I had the R-N-Y Gastric Bypass June 6th 2011 and have lost 160 lbs. I didn’t use it as a quick fix. I was high risk for diabetes and found out i had hyper insulism where my body was telling me i needed more carbs.

one of the reasons i couldn’t lose weight. they told me realistically I would get down to 180 i am down to 150 and have had a tummy tuck. I needed a drastic life change and it has worked for me.

the surgery is not a quick fix but a whole life change. i went through the program through Geisinger for 9 months before my surgery and learned how to eat and things to stay away from after surgery. Everyone is different you have to do what is right for you.

there are some foods i still eat but in much smaller portions and there are some foods i cant eat. I have no regrets at all. but that is me.

It is something not to go into lightly. You have to weigh all the pros and cons and find what is best for you. Good luck with the weight lose and diabetes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.