3 years of living on our food storage has taught us a lot!

Sizzlin’ Hot Deals Stockpilers-R-Us 3 years of living on our food storage has taught us a lot!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      brchbell

We’ve been living 100% on foods we had stored or what we could grow ourselves for 3 years now. During that time we discovered 3 of us have severe food allergies. We are in a position that starting in August we can start to rebuild our storage.

Buying GF stuff is a lot more expensive but no use worrying about it because it’s what we have to have. I’m just glad we didn’t get into an end of the world as we know situation when we found out! A friend got a truck load of food grade plastic buckets with screw down lids and every time I go her way I stop and take as many as I can squeeze in.

It will be a joy to start filling them in a few month’s time! I’m also growing dried beans in our garden this year. I’m hoping to replenish those cheaper by growing as many as we can.

I’m also redoing our food storage menu. I want to get 91 meals that fit all of our diets and requires no freezer of refrigerator space. 91 meals works out to 13 weeks or 1/4 of a year.

Once I have the menu done then I can plan our storage to have all we need for a year. Hopefully by next summer we will have our storage back up to date and fitting our new diet restrictions!

Virginia

Good to hear things are working out for you. Truckload of food grade plastic buckets would be nice to have. Garden grown dried beans are great.

What kind of beans are you growing? We grow several kinds. Please post your menu once you have it made — I would like to see what you come up with.

Thanks; Virginia

brchbell

I planted great northern beans, red beans, black beans and pinto’s. I did navy beans also but they didn’t grow and my daughter confessed she had used them to bake in a turkey bag to keep a baked pie crust flat and then dumped them back into the can so guessing that was why they didn’t grow. LOL!

Virginia

Good choices. Yep, baking with the beans would tend to kill them. LOL You can also make dry beans with green beans.

Thanks; Virginia

pastelsummer

I would love to see a list of what all you had and plan to buy for your storage if you have one

brchbell

I’ll try to get my 91 day food storage menu listed in the coming week. I’ve done up a master list of things to can from my garden, things to dehydrate, things to buy.

brchbell

Ok here is my 91 day menu. 91 days = 13 weeks or 1/4 of the year. Makes planning food storage easy and knowing you will have lots of variety and not get bored if you have to live on it.

I can as much as I can including making all my own soups as most canned store bought soup has gluten in it. I also can cheese for long term storage. I dehydrate my own onions, peppers, celery, carrots, broccoli and some tomatoes.

Dehydrated tomatoes are awesome when you run out of tomato paste. I powder them and mix in just enough water to make my paste. The things I have to buy are all my spices, GF pastas ( I make my own egg noodles) Canned items like rotel tomatoes, evaporated milk, green chilies, molasses.

I grow most everything else or buy it from a neighbor. Any way heres the 91 day menu I can make it all GF.
      My 91 Day Menu for Food Storage

Split Pea soup/ Lentil soup
      Vegetable soup
      Homemade Tomato Soup
      Creole Soup Pot
      bbq beef sandwiches
      broccoli rice casserole
      white beans with ham
      chicken enchilada casserole
      spaghetti sauce
      curried turkey dinner
      pizza
      taco baked chicken
      chicken noodle soup
      broccoli cheese soup
      italian chicken casserole
      quick and easy chicken meal
      beef enchilada pie
      chicken or turkey pot pie
      chili
      welsh rabbit
      bbq chicken sandwiches
      tamale pie (beef)
      7 bean soup
      beef stew
      chili mac
      sloppy joe’s
      7 can taco soup
      turkey Noodles
      pinto beans
      baked spaghetti
      taco’s
      fried rice
      sweet potato turkey croquettes
      making do casserole
      pasta bean soup
      AuJus beef & noodles
      Indian Stew (vegetarian)
      Spicy Orecchiette with broccoli (vegetarian)
      Black Bean Corn stew (vegetarian)
      Spaghetti with Zesty Sauce (vegetarian)
      African chicken
      bbq chicken with fruit
      chicken azteca
      chicken paprika
      chicken taco rice
      chicken tetrazzini
      mexican chicken casserole
      tamale chicken
      tex-mex chicken and rice
      wild rice casserole
      beef stew ole
      coconutty beef curry
      cook all day dinner
      creamy beefy casserole
      nancy’s beef & sour cream
      spanish rice
      quickie clam chowder
      skillet lasagna
      cheesy chicken casserole
      hawaiian hay stacks
      easy beef enchiladas
      gf calzones
      potato & red pepper frittata
      easy cola chicken
      easy chicken enchiladas
      mac & cheese (home made gf)
      chicken parmesan
      wild rice stuffed squash
      gf mexican lasagna
      gf szechuan chicken noodles
      gf baked pesto penne
      gf caprese tarts
      beef & green beans (crockpot)
      cheeseburger casserole
      pizza casserole
      nacho casserole
      mexican casserole
      white bean soup
      black bean burgers
      rice & beans
      lime peanut ginger chicken
      one pot pizza pasta
      cream of tomato soup with dill
      pasta alla carbonara
      dutch’s chicken
      4 can casserole
      Spiced Hot Dogs
      fluffy rice and chicken
      canned meat loaf
      Taco casserole
      Hamburger casserole

Virginia

Sounds great. Now, for the recipes for all of that!? Thanks; Virginia

brchbell

which recipes do you want?

pastelsummer

@brchbell 329823 wrote:

I’ll try to get my 91 day food storage menu listed in the coming week. I’ve done up a master list of things to can from my garden, things to dehydrate, things to buy.

What does the master list look like? And I love that list of recipes I will have to try some and see what my kids will eat to add to the list of food they can and will eat.

🙂 Thank You so much

cjsmith45

How does one grow dried beans? Also, does anyone know how long dried beans will last if properly stored?
      And I am assuming that GF is “Grain Free”?

Virginia

@Virginia 330023 wrote:

Sounds great. Now, for the recipes for all of that!? Thanks; Virginia

i meant (was kidding) the meals themselves (all 91 of them), the canning and dehydrating of all the ingredients –you know, all of the recipes, methods and how to s.

however, once i posted i got to thinking — there are people who come to this site and do not know the basics of cooking and would probably find it helpful for all the recipes and how to s.

brchbell;330071 wrote:
      which recipes do you want?

any and all recipes are welcome.

cj —

i will post in the garden section on how to grow and dry beans. as to how long they last — indefinitely?

gf stands for gluten free.

thanks; virginia

Mahoganee

Wow! Awesome! I plan on starting my stockpile soon.

pearlselby

@cjsmith45 332357 wrote:

How does one grow dried beans? Also, does anyone know how long dried beans will last if properly stored?
      And I am assuming that gf is “grain free”?

we grow black beans, red beans, rattlesnake beans, asparagus beans (yardlong), purple hull, and lima beans. we only grew dry this year as i had a lot of green beans canned.

they are very easy. we use cattle panels for them(the ones that need a trellis).

we let them dry in the pod in the garage and then shell them and let them dry for 2 weeks then put them in jars. When we get a lot of jars, we vacuum seal them.

brchbell

gf means gluten free. i learned this year that i am not allergic to wheat but can’t process gmo grains. i have severe allergic reaction if i eat or if i am exposed and breath it in.

can’t eat in public restaurants now because my throat swells shut so easily

Jan62

Thats a really good list of meals you have come up with. I have lots of food allergies and am celiac and it does make stockpiling a bit more difficult but still do-able. I’m impressed that you’ve been living off your stockpile for so long, would love to hear more about it and what else you’ve learned cooking from the stockpile, do you grow your own veggies?

brchbell

@Jan62 890307 wrote:

Thats a really good list of meals you have come up with. I have lots of food allergies and am celiac and it does make stockpiling a bit more difficult but still do-able. I’m impressed that you’ve been living off your stockpile for so long, would love to hear more about it and what else you’ve learned cooking from the stockpile, do you grow your own veggies?

yes we grow our own produce and i can, dehydrate and freeze most of it so we have it through the winter. more and more veggies now are being turned into gmo food so we grow our own food from heirloom seeds so i can save my own seeds and use them for the next years crop. we went vegan a couple years ago due to my husband dealing with cancer.

the doctor told use if we go without meat, dairy and gmo foods then cancer will not grow in our body. we are in our third year and his cancer rate has fallen to zero and stays there. he gets checked every 6 months.

We do occasionally eat meat and dairy like on holidays or when we go out to eat. But we live mostly on beans and veggies.

BlessedHillFolk

Hi! New here and was wondering if you might post an update on how your 91 canned meals are working out. Also not sure if my recipes for similar meals would can well. Maybe you could share some or all of the recipes when you get a chance. Thanks!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sizzlin’ Hot Deals Stockpilers-R-Us 3 years of living on our food storage has taught us a lot!