Crocheted Clothing

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      lala72

I’m crocheting a sweater for my 5 year old. It’s going to have a dinosaur applique on the front. It’s my first time making something like this.

I’ve already had to rip out all my stitches because I messed up the stitch count and I had too many.
      I’ve crocheted lots of other things like stuffed animals, blankets, hats and socks. Is there anybody else out there that crochets clothing?

jkpjohnson

Not me but I wish I could. I have tried starting a blanket, but I think I use too much tension, so I gave up.

lala72

I crochet tight too. I really have to pay attention to what I’m doing so I don’t pull through so tight.

hotpadmama54

Hi Lala!
      I haven’t crocheted any clothing yet, just started to crochet, but, have knitted clothing and doing a swatch to determine your gauge is time well spent! Your pattern should tell you how to do your swatch and just the doing of the crochet will help you to start to relax your tension. I was very tight with my knitting at first too and just doing more knitting helped me to relax and get looser with my thread.

I did a lot of dishcloths to practice and being able to get something done in a short time increased my confidence and helped me to see how to do different stitches and patterns too! Keep on working on your project and try to relax. Even just doing a square of single crochet, or half-double, or double for an exercise while watching TV each day will help you get a ‘feel’ for holding tension on the thread and will increase your ability to do it better!

Hope this helps! 😀 I’m doing hotpads and dishcloths for Christmas presents right now and practicing my crochet since I ‘m just learning how to do it!:D

lala72

Thank you HotPad Mama. I finished the back of the sweater and I started to front a few days ago. I have to work on it after my boys are in for the night because I have to keep track of the stitches.

Thank you for the tips. My other favorite things to crochet are giant granny square blankets.

Parker

I love to crochet, I normaly make blankets, but maybe i should try clothes

MiniBooger

I’ve crocheted a few children’s tops and sweaters. I don’t have the patience anymore for anything that takes longer than that!

BernadetteR

Hello! I taught myself to crochet by watching YouTube videos–Crochet Geek (who has a channel) has some great tutorials…I haven’t progressed yet to the more challenging items like clothes. I admire you!

MrsGPJ

I crochet too, though i am just now starting to make my first sweaters (one for my baby girl and one for one of my older boys) — I mainly have made afghans, dish scrubbies, dishcloths, hot pads, scarves, slippers, and mittens. I found a link to this boys’ sweater with Dinosaur pattern, is it the same one you are making? If not, maybe reading it will give you some hints to help you with your current pattern.
      Boy's Dino Sweater Crochet Pattern | Red Heart

Good luck.

=) Gayle

lala72

Thanks MrsGPJ. That’s the exact pattern I am using. I might have to start all over because my boy has grown since I started.

Ha! Since then I’ve made berets for two ladies at my church and a shawl for another one. I haven’t crocheted much lately, but I really need to use up my yarn stash.

lala72

@BernadetteR 399599 wrote:

Hello! I taught myself to crochet by watching YouTube videos–Crochet Geek (who has a channel) has some great tutorials…I haven’t progressed yet to the more challenging items like clothes. I admire you!

Oh thank you.

(-: I taught myself to crochet from Martha Stewart’s website and crocheting for dummies. I subscribe to Crochet Geek and Left handed Crochet. The videos are such a great help.

Some of the easiest clothing to make are hats and headbands. They stitch up pretty quick. Good luck to you.

Karno

You Tube is a fantastic site for learning.

KatzTazTrophy

I crochet but not clothing just belts to wear at most or winter time scarves, I have done pot holders as well, and made my teacup yorkie some blankets.

Quote:

its a stress reliever for me.

Quote:
      lala72

@KatzTazTrophy 509522 wrote:

I crochet but not clothing just belts to wear at most or winter time scarves, I have done pot holders as well, and made my teacup yorkie some blankets. Its a stress reliever for me.

For a Yankee swap Christmas gift I crocheted shopping bags and in one I put a grocery card. I make more things for people than for myself.

I get a lot of satisfaction making something that someone can use.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.