Potato Fudge

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      JoAnn

3 Tbsp. shortening
      3 Tbsp. butter
      1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. cocoa
      1/3 cup mashed potatoes (baked potato first) (then mash)
      1/8 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. vanilla
      1 lb. (16 oz.) powdered sugar
      1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a microwave safe bowl, melt shortening and butter in the microwave. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Add potatoes, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Blend in powdered sugar, mix and add nuts. Dough will be very lumpy. Knead until smooth. Press into a buttered 8×8 inch pan. Cool in the refrigerator before cutting. Makes 64 pieces (yeah right!).

jaime

This sounds very interesting. I think I may try this sometime. Thanks JoAnn

tsgal

It does look interesting. Never heard of using potatoes in fudge before. JoAnn, do you know where is orginated from?

JoAnn

Toni,
      My Mother used to have us make this fudge, when we were growing up. Her Mother was German & her Father was Hungarian. It’s a shame that I never asked her about cetain recipes. This is the only fudge recipe that I use now—I’ve worked with other fudge recipes and they turn into road fill material. Harder then rocks..So I stick to old faithful. So I don’t get laughed out of the house. Have you ever made the potatoe candy recipe that I posted a few months back ?? That is a good recipe…. Mom & Dad liked that one too…

tsgal

JoAnn I didn’t see the potato candy recipe, would you mind posting it again? If it’s no trouble. I guess the potatoes must give the fudge some moisture. I really want to try this. But I don’t have any shortening, would oil work just as good I wonder? I’d love to surprise my family with this recipe, it’s so interesting to use potatoes in fudge. I undetstand what your saying about traditional fudge coming out like road fill…..lol….I’ve had the same thing happen to me, that’s why I don’t make it to often.

gabriesnana

I have heard of making a coconut candy with a potato, and my family has made it for years, so it is great to get another recipe with a potato.
      thanks for sharing it.
      carol anne

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.