ISO recipes using turmeric

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List ISO recipes using turmeric

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      gypsumoon

I’d like to add turmeric to our diet for its antioxidant properties – but most the recipes that I’ve found searching the net have lots of ingredients or exotic ingredients or lots of exotic ingredients 😉

i’m looking for quick, easy, and frugal.

i’m going to do some experimenting on my own, but thought i’d ask here as well.

thanks!

FreebieQueen

Turmeric is one of my favorite spices! I add it to pots of homemade chicken vegetable soup for a kick. It adds a deep rich yellow color and lots of zip on the flavor. One thing to remember when adding turmeric to your recipes, a Little goes a LONG way!

Add it to egg salad, be sure to mix it in well. If you like breakfast, scramble some eggs and diced potatoes in a pan together, sprinkle with turmeric.

Combine the following in a small bowl, mixing well and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving:

Vegetable Dip
      * 1 cup mayonnaise
      * 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
      * 1 teaspoon garlic salt
      * 1 teaspoon white sugar
      * 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
      * 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
      * 1 teaspoon white vinegar

Or..if you’re looking for a dinner Dish:

* 1 onion, chopped
      * 1/4 cup vegetable oil
      * 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
      * 1 teaspoon salt
      * 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      * 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
      * 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
      * 2 tomatoes, chopped

Lightly brown onion in oil in a medium size skillet. Stir in salt, cayenne, turmeric and cumin. Add potatoes and cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, cover pan and cook until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.

Makes a wonderfully light, yet filling dinner.

HSLINKS

Tumeric is the poor man’s saffron .. look up recipes that use saffron and sub a bit of tumeric

Use in rice, just a little

Add to your chicken soups, lovely colour

I make faux egg salad with firm or extra firm tofu .. squish the heck outta it, then crumble and make as normal, just add some tumeric for colour

Most of my Indian dishes have some in it .. in reality most the spices are already in your kitchen its just the combinations that are different .. ex: you really do need a little cinnamon in some of the dishes

Ria

gypsumoon

Thanks y’all – we eat lots of eggs here. I’ll try the scrambled and egg salad suggestions today.

And I do lots of chicken soup, as well as brown rice – will try both of those. And will go on a saffron-recipe search later today.

The potato dish and the veggie dip will come in handy around here, too.

Thanks again!

JoAnn

Thanks this is very interesting, and the recipes sound excellent..

lokilove

I put it in my chicken curry to add to the flavor and color.

1lb. chicken
      1 med. onion
      1/2 tbsp garlic
      1/2 tbsp chili powder
      1/2 tbsp ginger
      1 tbsp tumeric
      1 tbsp curry
      1 tbsp oil any kind
      4 tbsp water
      salt to taste
      as much rice as you like

cook it all except for rice on stove top for 15-20 min. make rice separately as you normally would. You can always add more spices if you like depending on how strong you like it.

a brick

Does anyone here on the forum have info about proposed turmeric benefits?

FreebieQueen

@a brick 124387 wrote:

Does anyone here on the forum have info about proposed turmeric benefits?

U.S. National Institutes of Health had four clinical trials underway to study curcumin treatment for pancreatic cancer, multiple myeloma, Alzheimer’s, and colorectal cancer

The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease.

Here are 20 reasons to add turmeric to your diet:

1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.

2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.

3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.

4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.

5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.

6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.

7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.

8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.

9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.

10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.

11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.

12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.

13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.

14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.

16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.

17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.

18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.

19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.

20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.

Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.

Once you start using turmeric on a regular basis, it’s fun to find new ways to use it in recipes. My favorite way to use it is to add a pinch of it to egg salad. It adds a nice flavor and gives the egg salad a rich yellow hue.

Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.

Link to A Study:
      Phase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemoprevent…[Anticancer Res. 2001 Jul-Aug] – PubMed Result

Curcumin in Pediatric Ulcerative Colitis
      Curcumin in Pediatric Ulcerative Colitis – Full Text View – ClinicalTrials.gov

Alzheimers Treatment Study
      A Pilot Study of Curcumin and Ginkgo for Treating Alzheimer’s Disease – Full Text View – ClinicalTrials.gov

Measuring Biological Response Study
      Measuring Biological Response to Curcumin – National Cancer Institute

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List ISO recipes using turmeric