Are You Raising Frugal Children

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Kids / Children Are You Raising Frugal Children

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      d_awalker

Since I try to impart frugal ideas to my children, I was wonder if other frugal parents do as well.

Are your children frugal? What are you teaching them regarding money and budgeting?

wilbe95

I am trying.
      My 20 year old use to be frugal, went crazy for awhile, but is trying again.
      My 13 year old spends every penny as fast as he makes it-I’m trying.
      My 10 year old is a total tightwad, wont spend a penny on anything unless he has to.
      My 7 year old asks how much he has, spends some and saves some.

d_awalker

I am trying too, but sometimes they just don’t “do” what we parents want them to do

BellaInara

We just started an allowance with our 6 year old son. He does chores ranging in price from .25 to 2.50.

He is just doing it to buy what he wants right now, but I am trying to teach him to be smart. I’ve got him using coupons and checking sales. He is also learning to wait for the paper to come out before buying.

I’ve been going over the value of things. He is learning that if he wants a 20.00 toy, that he’ll have to work hard and save to get it. I’ve also been teaching him how to compare prices and use the internet to find what he wants.

We’ve been at it for a few weeks, and his enthusiasm hasn’t flagged yet, but I’m sure it will soon. I hope he’ll retain some of it and have these habits so built into him that when he is older, he doesn’t have to learn the hard way.

Shannon

Margaret K

My 2 children were as different as day & night. Daughter (oldest) now 52 , spent every cent she made as fast as she got it. She still does.

Son (now 44)was a tight wad if his sister wanted to borrow $5.00 she had to pay him back %7.50 & he wouldn’t loan her any more until it was paid back. LOL. He was so funny.

In the summer(am) he worked by picking fruit for the farmers. in the evening he worked cleaning an Medical clinic offices. That took him 2 hrs & after he left there he went to work in the kitchen of a nursing home & he saved every cent he made.

I can tell you that today he is a very wealthy man.

Lyndie

I think my kids (16, 14 and 10) are pretty frugal, they’ve been raised hearing the phrase “it’s not in the budget right now” so they know we just don’t go around spending money on whatever we want whenever we want. My teens are good about saving their allowance to spend on things like video games, movie tickets and music downloads.

kkiriazis

I have a 17 year old son and my daughter is 15 yrs. I have to say both are very good about saving money. My son however doesn’t want to work and I am having a very difficult time with that.

He doesn’t ask me for money or anything really, he saves all the money he gets yet I need him to realize that he needs to learn to pay for the basics in life, food, shelter, etc. My daughter is a straight A student who works very hard to keep those grades, she’s active in school activities, and wants a job really bad. I am told she could get one this summer-she is a good worker (when we lived in NH she worked for my parents at their candy store), she saves all her money yet she likes to spend my money.

lol I do make them buy her (her brother too) own wants (nail polish, make up, etc) so she tends to hold off on getting those things because she doesn’t want to spend her own money. Trying really hard to teach them about being frugal and saving for their future.

d_awalker

@Margaret K 106523 wrote:

My 2 children were as different as day & night. Daughter (oldest) now 52 , spent every cent she made as fast as she got it. She still does.

Son (now 44)was a tight wad if his sister wanted to borrow $5.00 she had to pay him back %7.50 & he wouldn’t loan her any more until it was paid back.

This sounds similar to my brother and me. I am the frugal one and he is the spend thrift. He makes about 3 times as much as my husband, lives like a pauper, but never has ANY money.

He has even been overdrawn on his account. We are on our second house and he has never owned a house. The car he had was repossessed for non-payment.

I never did understand the “why” because my father and mother tried to teach him right. He is just one of those people who does not listen very well at all.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Kids / Children Are You Raising Frugal Children