Buying Locally grown, for cheap!

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Buying Locally grown, for cheap!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      d_awalker

I have been researching buying locally grown, less processed food for months. The good news is I have come across local dairy, beef, pork, chicken, goat, rabbit lamb, fruit, and veggie producers. Most are minimally processed, hormone, and pesticide free. The bad news is that much of it seems expensive and might break our budget.

Does anyone have any great ideas for getting locally grown foods at a cost that won’t break the bank?

Thanks in advance!

wilbe95

If you looking at a store the items will cost more because the store gets a cut of the profits. If they have the name of the farm that the item came from you could contact them directly they might be willing to sell to you that way.

d_awalker

I am definitely not looking in the stores. Those prices are astronomical. I have been looking on sites for local farms. I probably will need to call the ones without a site because those could possibly be cheaper.

wilbe95

Those prices are astronomical.

They are crazy aren’t they.
      Let us know how it goes when you contact them-that might be something we could all try if it works 🙂

d_awalker

I will be sure to let everyone know.

Tarrien

I found growing your own fruits and veggies really will save you an arm and a leg with some foods such as strawberries and raspberries.

If you’re really determined try to see if there’s a farmer’s market around?

d_awalker

@Tarrien 106282 wrote:

I found growing your own fruits and veggies really will save you an arm and a leg with some foods such as strawberries and raspberries.

Funny you should say that. I have another thread going about me wanting to start another veggie garden this year:mrgreen: I am hoping to have more success with it this year. I am mainly looking for meat, dairy, and eggs.

@Tarrien 106282 wrote:

If you’re really determined try to see if there’s a farmer’s market around?

There is one is Columbia and a small one exists up the road during warmer months.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Buying Locally grown, for cheap!