Thoughts on “Not Buying It” book?

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Thoughts on “Not Buying It” book?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Suzanne,

I finished reading that book a few weeks ago. You're right, it has a lot of layers further than buying only necessities. I congratulated myself after reading it, because I got my copy thru
      http://www.PaperBackSwap.com, totally free.

:>)
      It was very interesting to see how she wrangled with what should be called a necessity.

I am sure my concept of 'necessities' would be wrangled with too, and I consider myself and my husband to already be doing a lot of 'nonbuying' stuff as it is. I don't know what I expected, but I guess I expected her 'necessities' to go right down the track as I thought mine would. Silly of me, huh?

But I do think that it would be easier for me and dh to be 'not buying it' because we really buy a lot less 'fluffy' stuff than the author did. However, appearances can be deceiving; she also thought it would be a lot easier than it was in actuality.

Glad you brought this book up!

Bron

On 3/10/07, pseuzanne[/b] <pseuzanne@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am currently reading the book by Judith Levine entitled, “Not Buying

It: My Year Without Shopping”. It is a true account of the year when

she decided to only purchase the absolute necessities, to get out of

the “rat race” of spending encouraged by our culture. It is much more

deep, and political, than I expected, and raises alot of good

questions. I was wondering if anyone else is reading (or has read) this

book, and their thoughts on it. I thought a frugal group would be the

best place to discuss it!

Suzanne

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Thoughts on “Not Buying It” book?