Sevin Dust being pulled?

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Gardening & Landscaping Sevin Dust being pulled?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      MrsPaws

I’ve used Sevin dust for my plants for like…ever. My Grandparents were faithful users…everyone I know uses it.
      Soooo….I was so blown away when calling around to find a bag instead of those small cannisters, and was told by a local feed, seed, and tack stores, that it’s actually being pulled off the market.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Know of a comparable product?

FreebieQueen

@MrsPaws 242601 wrote:

I’ve used Sevin dust for my plants for like…ever. My Grandparents were faithful users…everyone I know uses it.
      Soooo….I was so blown away when calling around to find a bag instead of those small cannisters, and was told by a local feed, seed, and tack stores, that it’s actually being pulled off the market.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Know of a comparable product?

I love sevin garden dust too, it works GREAT on pets & in the garden on veggies, etc. The only semi-comparable product I’ve found is diotomeachus earth, but I prefer sevin. You can find it online at Amazon still here.

I haven’t heard anything about it being pulled off the market, but now that you mention it, the last time we went to lowes they were completely Out of it.

MrsPaws

I went to our local county Co op today…I asked them about the Sevin dust. They still have some of the cannisters-(5% I think). The gentleman said he’d heard something along those lines. Something about problems with the product last year, so it was being pulled…While some stores are still able to order some of the products that still have remaining inventory, some aren’t.
      Don’t know.

:/

but, the co op -did- have a couple comparable products that’s only $4.99/4 lb bag. Not bad. So I bought both.

Gonna find out how they measure up to the Sevin dust.

MrsPaws

After using both the dust and granules of the Co op’s comparable products, I waited to see how they would measure up against Sevin dust.
      So far, very good. To make it even better, the price is a huge savings.

The name of the granules is “Bug Blaster II” ((don’t ya just love that name))
      It’s available in 2.25 lb bags @ $3.75 OR 11 lb bags bags @ $10.95. Yeah, I bought the big bag. 😉

The dust is “Garden and Pet Dust” in 4 lb bags @ $4.99 each.
      They also have “Dipel Dust” in 4 lb bags @ $4.95 each.
      *All worked extremely well and I’ll buy these again.
      ((The products and prices are at our local Co op.))

Liss

I did a little research on this after your post about them pulling it- turns out that the Company Itself petitioned the FDA to DISALLOW it for use on Pets, Poultry, Birds, etc. That in itself is a little disconcerting- It’s not very often that a company asks the FDA to changes it’s own product use recommendations. The main ingredient in the Sevin Dust powder is Carbaryl.

Here is their petition to the FDA: Carbaryl; Amending Product Registrations to Terminate Uses and Eliminate Certain Application Methods | Federal Register Environmental Documents | USEPA

It’s also important to note that (Sevin, in Any form) is not recommended for use on succulents (lettuce, leafy veggies, beans, peas)

MrsPaws

@Liss 243260 wrote:

I did a little research on this after your post about them pulling it- turns out that the Company Itself petitioned the fda to disallow it for use on pets, poultry, birds, etc. that in itself is a little disconcerting- it’s not very often that a company asks the fda to changes it’s own product use recommendations. the main ingredient in the sevin dust powder is carbaryl.

here is their petition to the fda: Carbaryl; Amending Product Registrations to Terminate Uses and Eliminate Certain Application Methods | Federal Register Environmental Documents | usepa

it’s also important to note that (sevin, in any form) is not recommended for use on succulents (lettuce, leafy veggies, beans, peas)

whoa…that worries me a bit. kinda like a huge red flag for…well, not sure why…but it still worries me.
      makes a person wonder why…

jrodgers

Someone mentioned using diatomaceous earth as an alternative to using Sevin dust – if you read the ingredients on some cat litter, you will discover that some of the cheapest brands (about 5#/$1) are made almost entirely of diatomaceous earth. This is the cheapest source I know of, but don’t go pulverizing it willy nilly. The dust can permanently injure your eyes and respiratory tract.

Since diatomaceous earth is composed of the remains creatures with sharp glass-like silica exoskeletons don’t breathe it in; wear a mask and gloves. It works by piercing through the insect’s exoskeleton and the insect dehydrates.

MrsPaws

@jrodgers 243311 wrote:

Someone mentioned using diatomaceous earth as an alternative to using Sevin dust – if you read the ingredients on some cat litter, you will discover that some of the cheapest brands (about 5#/$1) are made almost entirely of diatomaceous earth. This is the cheapest source I know of, but don’t go pulverizing it willy nilly. The dust can permanently injure your eyes and respiratory tract.

Since diatomaceous earth is composed of the remains creatures with sharp glass-like silica exoskeletons don’t breathe it in; wear a mask and gloves. It works by piercing through the insect’s exoskeleton and the insect dehydrates.

Wow, didn’t know some of this…thanks for the information.

MrsPaws

Not sure why this double posted…but it did.

debbiedh

I’v noticed that the stores where I normally get mine don’t seem to have much of a selection, just didn’t know why, glad I saw it here now I will be looking for something else as good. Thanks

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Gardening & Landscaping Sevin Dust being pulled?