zip loc scrambled eggs

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      hickamgirl

This is so good!!
      All you need is a baggie, eggs, a pot to boil water, and of course..fire 🙂
      You boil the water over your grill, put the eggs into the baggie and whatever fillings you want in your eggs, seal the bag and toss it into the boiling water and YUMMY…scrambled eggs great for camping!

dct9000

Love it, no fuss and best of all no mess.

MrsPaws

This sounds like a super handy idea!! Thanks for sharing.

Vampixen

wow I never knew this..Thanks a lottwo cents… gonna do this for now on:Drogar-Smile(LBG):

cutewikki

This isn’t safe to eat, here is a letter from Ziploc regarding this issue:

Dear Mrs. xxx,
      thank you for your email regarding the safety of ziploc® bags.
      regarding your inquiry, ziploc® bags cannot be used to boil food. unfortunately, we do not manufacture a “boilable” bag.
      we do not recommend using any ziploc® bag in boiling water, or to “boil” in the microwave. ziploc® bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit.

By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt.
      If you have additional concerns, we recommend you call our Product Safety Department at 1-866-231-5406. They will be happy to address any questions you may have.
      Best regards,
      Megan
      Consumer Relationship Centre
      SC Johnson
      Toll free number: 1-800-558-5566
      SC Johnson
      Reference Number: 012700038A

Vampixen

:Drogar-Scared(LBG):oh

Vampixen

I did this tonight with my Kids for fun Scared to death now:Drogar-Oops(LBG):

Vampixen

it did boil fine and it cooked…so do i need to worry?..My kids ate this….HelpGaah

FreebieQueen

@Vampixen 248557 wrote:

it did boil fine and it cooked…so do i need to worry?..My kids ate this….HelpGaah

No, it’s like most things, ok to do once in awhile, but not something you should do on a regular basis.

MrsPaws

@FreebieQueen 248582 wrote:

No, it’s like most things, ok to do once in awhile, but not something you should do on a regular basis.

i agree.
      there’re several mom i know in rl, not just online, that do this on a regular basis. as far as i know, they’re all just fine. after reading that though, i don’t think i would do that so often, but i think every so often is okay.

i’m betting everyone is fine.

if your children start to exhibit weird symptoms, then i’d start to worry…but seriously, i think they’ll be fine.l :hugs:

Vampixen

Kids are fine..they wanted me to do it again this morning..but I didn’t…I think they got a kick out of it cooking (well my 6 year old did)

FreebieQueen

@Vampixen 248633 wrote:

Kids are fine..they wanted me to do it again this morning..but I didn’t…I think they got a kick out of it cooking (well my 6 year old did)

You can still do this with vacuum seal bags, they are meant to be boiled & are made of a slightly different plastic.

cometkatt

Have done this many times with our girl scout troops..
      there are one or two tricks to them that make it easier.
      i only do one baggie at a time & use a wide pot – drop in the center of the pot (if its too close to the side melting will occur :)! )
      use a wooden spoon/spatula & after about a minute tip bag over to other side eggs will cook better
      biggest tip tho is get as much air out of the bag as possible before cooking
      i dont like using tongs but if you do use the rounded edged ones to not tear the bag..
      and most of all an adult does the cooking

& as for baggies anti do this warning. of course they are going to advise against it.. only sensible thing they can or will do.

its your choice whether to do it or not
      just my feelings
      rj

idnative1948

Ah vacuum seal bags. Good Idea.
      We have always taken this recipe a little further as a quick last morning camping breakfast. We dice up some cooked ham, dice onions, green peppers and cheese (or shredded) for the grandkids so they can choose what they want in their omelet. A two egg, takes about 20 minutes.

mos

hickamgirl, I have to agree with cutewikki, all of the research that I’ve done cooking anything this way is not good;-/ The first time that I heard about it, I thought ‘what a clever idea!’ Then tons of information poured in…so I never did it.

nikimilton

I never refridgerate my eggs unless they’re a giant pack that I may need an extra day or two past sell by to eat, works fine for me…

Cthornell

We do these every year at out family camp out. We mix in ham, cheese, peppers,green onions, bacon, etc. The kids love putting what they like in the bag.

We just have to remember to put names on them. It’s easier than doing a big egg mixture because some of my nieces and nephews have dairy or gluten allergies. This way every one can eat what works for them.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.