Recipes » Mix Recipes » Muffin Mix Recipes » A-B-C Muffin Base Mix

A-B-C Muffin Base Mix

fb iconpinterest iconpinterest iconlinkedin iconbuffer icon

A-B-C Muffin mix base is called that for a reason because you can use this delicious base mix for hundreds of different homemade muffin mix flavors with just a few minor alterations.  This base muffin mix was designed with larger families in mind, but you don’t have to make a giant pan of muffins, we’ve broken it down for you to make a single batch of 12 as well.

Family Size A-B-C Muffin Mix

A-B-C Muffin Base Mix

You’ll Need:
18 cups flour
5 cups sugar*
2 1/4 cups buttermilk blend or nonfat dry milk
6 Tb baking powder
2 Tb baking soda
2 Tb salt
3 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp ground nutmeg

Measure all of the ingredients into a large bowl, blend well and then transfer to a sealable, airtight storage container.

How to Make 24 Large Muffins

Combine the following:
4 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
2 cups of water
1 cup oil
5-1/2 cups muffin mix

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
  3. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown.
  4. Muffins freeze well.  To reheat frozen muffins, microwave on high for 30 seconds per muffin.

b101-abc-muffin-mixes

To Make 1 Dozen Large Muffins or 24 Mini Muffins:

You’ll Need:
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of Oil
2 3/4 c. ABC Muffin Mix

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
  3. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown.
  4. Muffins freeze well.  To reheat frozen muffins, microwave on high for 30 seconds per muffin.

*Sugar- regarding the sugar, you can choose to use less, substitute the equivalent of your favorite sweetener (such as stevia, sucanot, splenda, etc). Be aware some flavors of muffins may require less sugar as well.

Canstock Photo Planpraz

View More Muffin Mixes

See More Mixes

22 thoughts on “A-B-C Muffin Base Mix”

1. :learncook: there is a star next to the amount of sugar, but i don’t see any reference to it anywhere in the recipe. what were you trying to signify there (more or less to taste; can use substitute; etc)?

linda

• :learncook: There is a star next to the amount of sugar, but I don’t see any reference to it anywhere in the recipe. What were you trying to signify there (more or less to taste; can use substitute; etc)?

Linda

Yes, precisely. Add less if desired, swap out with sugar substitute, etc.

• :learncook: There is a star next to the amount of sugar, but I don’t see any reference to it anywhere in the recipe. What were you trying to signify there (more or less to taste; can use substitute; etc)?

Linda

If you go to the muffin recipe (in their list of recipes) you’ll find the amount of sugar needed, depending on the recipe.

• Can i use powdered eggs instead of fresh? How does that change the liquids?

Yes, you can , but it depends on what brand of powdered eggs you’re using, it ranges anywhere from 2- 4 tablespoons Per egg. Just follow the reconstitution directions on the package.

2. how would i need to adjust this for baking in high altitudes? my son and his bride live in salt lake city and i would like to make and send some to them.

3. i would love a smaller quantity for the first time trying this recipe. i have some fresh cranberries in the fridge in need of rescuing before they spoil. an orange cranberry muffin is a good place to save them.

thanks!

• I eighthed (halved three times) the recipe and it fit in a quart canning jar with just enough wiggle room to shake until mixed well. Unfortunately, this made about 3 1/2 cups of mix. I haven’t yet tried to make the muffins but I hope using heaping measurements on all added ingredients (perhaps adding a small egg like a duck egg or using powdered egg as a work-around) will work well enough.

4. could you substitute with self rising flour eliminate the baking powder and soda and would you still need to add the salt?

• could you substitute with self rising flour eliminate the baking powder and soda and would you still need to add the salt?

I found this, let me know if it helps.

Selfrising flour is all-purpose flour with baking powder and salt added. To make your own, combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

5. when i bagged up the mix i used 2 ¾ cups of the mix and added ½ cup dried blueberries. It makes about 14 muffins. This is perfect for my family of four.

6. hi, i would love to try this but i’m allergic to powdered milk, is there a work around for that? maybe leave it out and add more milk per batch when i use the mix? and i’m also curious about the asterisk next to the sugar, what does that mean?

thanks

• Hi, I would love to try this but I’m allergic to powdered milk, is there a work around for that? Maybe leave it out and add more milk per batch when I use the mix? And I’m also curious about the asterisk next to the sugar, what does that mean?

Thanks

this is at bottom of recipe!
      *Sugar- regarding the sugar, you can choose to use less, substitute the equivalent of your favorite sweetener (such as stevia, sucanot, splenda, etc). be aware some flavors of muffins may require less sugar as well.

7. I’ve made these twice now, the 12 muffin size recipe, adding just blueberries. The first one something went wrong (who knows, my boys were helping), it was way too dry so I added more liquid which resulted in overmixing. No one liked them, and oil had soaked the muffin liners.

Seeing as how I now had a bunch of ABC mix, I tried again!
    This time I waited until my boys weren’t home, and the batter was a correct consistency. I used slightly soured raw milk instead of water, halved the oil, and added a 1/4 c of sugar. I also used dried blueberries this time which I soaked for a little while.

I was super careful to not overmix. Man oh man- truth be told I’ve never made muffins that I actually liked, the kids would eat them okay though. These were AWESOME though!

The cinnamon is unexpected and perhaps a bit strong, but it made a lovely fall-flavored blueberry muffin. Wanted to take the time to say these were a huge hit, thank you so much!

8. Thank you, am new here and trying to learn more about ways to make my budget stretch and teach the younger generation including my children and grandchildren in our family. Enjoy DYI from scratch
    Thank you for your patience and sharing information.

9. Can this recipe also be used to double as pancake one too? I often just add milk to jiffy blueberry muffin mix to the right batter consistency. It would be nice to have one mix that could double for 2 uses

• How long does the mix stay fresh? Is it/can it be stored in fridge, cupboard or freezer?

3-6 Months, theoretically. We’ve never had a batch last longer than 3 months in this house. We store ours in the Pantry

Leave a Comment