If you’ve ever tried mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes, you might have struggled with achieving the correct texture. To attain the perfect texture, do not boil the cauliflower. The trick is to steam it instead. Boiling it almost always ensures that the finished texture will come out like a pureed mush, rather than a thicker mash.
In itself, cauliflower is rather bland. To counter this, we highly recommend adding freshly chopped herbs. One of my favorite ways of adding herbs is to use a tablespoon or two of compound herb butter.
For the best texture that most closely resembles whipped mashed potatoes, be sure to mash the steamed cauliflower with a potato masher. This creates a firm, yet slightly chunky consistency. If you prefer a creamy mash texture, use a handheld immersion blender.
Also, be sure to use the florets of the cauliflower only. Don’t include the stem pieces, save those for dipping in your favorite veggie dip recipe. The stem pieces alter the flavor and texture considerably.
Keto Mashed Potatoes aka Whipped Cauliflower & Herbs
Ingredients, You’ll Need:
1 head of cauliflower
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbs butter
2 garlic cloves minced
1-2 tsp finely chopped herbs thyme, rosemary
- Trim the leaves off the cauliflower and cut off the florets only. Thoroughly rinse the florets under running water and strain.
- Steam the cauliflower florets until tender.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, heat the olive oil and butter in a small shallow pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, then add the herbs, stirring once or twice, immediately remove from the heat.
- Place the hot steamed (drained) cauliflower in a large bowl. Next, pour the sauteed garlic/herb mixture over the hot cauliflower.
- Use a potato masher or immersion blender to mash the cauliflower. Add additional butter pats to the top, Serve immediately.
Cauliflower should not be cooked too long or you will wind up with cauliflower puree rather than a creamy mash. The same is true if you use a food processor instead of a potato masher or immersion blender.
Calories: 84.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.9g | Protein: 4.1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 0.7g | Sodium: 63.3mg | Fiber: 4.2g | Sugar: 4g
Keto Cauliflower Mash Variations
Be sure to try different herbs, such as chives, bits of scallions, fresh thyme, a bit of oregano, whatever you like.
Cauliflower has a tendency to take on the flavors that it’s blended with.
Ricotta & Garlic Cauliflower Mash
Another variation that we enjoy is to add 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese to the above recipe and an extra clove of minced garlic. Both offer an incredible flavor.
Loaded Baked Cauliflower Mash
This one is reminiscent of a loaded baked potato. Simply prepare the garlic herb mash as listed above, then transfer it to a lightly buttered ramekin. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, and bits of crispy bacon. Bake at 400F for 5-8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with thin green onion slices and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.