Do you love the idea of making delicious meatballs from scratch? Look no further, because we’ve got a mouthwatering homemade meatball recipe for you.
In this post, we’ll guide you through creating meatballs that are incredibly flavorful, juicy, and tender. Plus, we’ll provide all the essential tips to ensure your meatballs turn out perfectly every time.
Create flavorful homemade meatballs with a mix of beef and pork, complemented by onions, garlic, and spices. Bake until golden brown for a comforting, budget-friendly meal.
The Ingredients: A Symphony of Flavors
Before we embark on this culinary adventure, let’s take a closer look at the ingredients that make these meatballs truly special:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (85/15): This lean beef provides the perfect base for our meatballs, ensuring they’re both flavorful and not overly greasy.
- 1/2 pound ground pork: Adding pork enhances the overall taste and texture, making the meatballs juicy and succulent.
- 3 tablespoons finely diced onions: The finely diced onions bring a gentle, savory note to the meatballs, creating depth of flavor.
If you want to extend the meat a bit further, dice 1 large onion, then saute it on the stove in 2 tablespoons of butter with a dash of salt and pepper until the onion caramelizes.
- 1 large clove finely minced garlic: Garlic adds that classic, aromatic touch that complements the meat beautifully.
- 2 eggs: Eggs act as a binder, holding the meatballs together while adding moisture.
- 1/4 cup heavy cream: This creamy addition contributes to the tenderness of the meatballs.
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped: Fresh parsley imparts a subtle herbaceous quality to the meatballs. If you prefer, you can use 2 teaspoons of dried parsley.
- 2 teaspoons salt: Salt enhances the flavors, ensuring every bite is seasoned to perfection.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper: A dash of black pepper adds a hint of spiciness, beautifully balancing the savory elements.
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg: Nutmeg brings a touch of warmth and complexity, making these meatballs truly special.
How to Make Meatballs
Now, let’s dive into the art of crafting these delectable meatballs. Follow these simple steps to create meatballs that are bursting with flavor and succulence:
- Combine the Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, add all the meatball ingredients. This is where the magic happens.
You’ll have a mixture that’s a bit sticky, but that’s precisely what we want for tender meatballs.
- Blend Gently: To ensure all the ingredients are thoroughly combined, gently blend the mixture using your hands or a hand mixer on low speed.
The key here is not to overmix. We want the ingredients to come together harmoniously without overworking the meat, which can make the meatballs tough.
- Form the Meatballs: Using a small cookie dough scoop, form the mixture into meatballs about 1″ to 1 1/4″ in diameter. This size is perfect for a delightful bite-sized treat.
- Baking Perfection: Place each meatball on a baking sheet lined with a silpat, ideally yielding a total of around 45 meatballs.
Now, preheat your oven to 400°F and place the meatballs on the center rack. Let them bake for 15 minutes.
How to Freeze Meatballs
Freezing meatballs is a convenient way to preserve them for future use. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to freeze meatballs properly:
Ingredients and tools you’ll need:
- Cooked meatballs
- Baking sheet or tray
- Parchment paper or wax paper
- Freezer-safe storage containers or bags
- Plastic wrap or aluminum foil
- Marker and labels
- Cook the meatballs: Make sure your meatballs are fully cooked before freezing them. You can prepare them by baking, frying, or simmering, depending on your recipe.
- Cool the meatballs: Allow the meatballs to cool to room temperature. This is essential to prevent condensation and ice crystals from forming during the freezing process, which can affect the texture and quality of the meatballs.
- Prepare a baking sheet: Line a baking sheet or tray with parchment paper or wax paper. This will prevent the meatballs from sticking to the surface and make them easier to handle.
- Portion the meatballs: Place the cooked meatballs on the lined baking sheet, leaving some space between each meatball. You can portion them according to your needs, whether it’s by the desired serving size or a specific number of meatballs per container.
- Flash freeze: Place the baking sheet with the meatballs in the freezer for about 1-2 hours, or until they are partially frozen. This step, known as flash freezing, helps individual meatballs maintain their shape and prevents them from sticking together when stored in a container or bag.
- Package the meatballs: Once the meatballs are partially frozen, remove them from the baking sheet and transfer them into freezer-safe storage containers or resealable freezer bags. It’s a good idea to portion them into meal-sized servings if you plan to use them in recipes later.
- Remove air and seal: Squeeze out any excess air from the bags if you’re using freezer bags. For containers, try to minimize empty space. Seal the bags or containers tightly to prevent freezer burn and keep the meatballs fresh.
- Label and date: Use a marker to label the containers or bags with the contents and the date of freezing. This helps you keep track of how long they’ve been in the freezer and ensures you use them within a reasonable timeframe.
- Store in the freezer: Place the labeled containers or bags in your freezer. Try to keep them organized so you can easily locate the meatballs when needed.
Properly frozen meatballs can be stored in the freezer for several months. When you’re ready to use them, simply thaw them in the refrigerator overnight or use them directly in recipes like spaghetti, meatball sandwiches, or soups.
Irresistible Homemade Meatballs Recipe- Print Now
Easy Homemade Meatballs Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the oven rack in the center position. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat (silpat) or parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine all the meatball ingredients. Gently blend the mixture until everything is fully combined. The mixture might feel a bit sticky; that's normal.1 ½ pounds ground beef½ pound ground pork3 tablespoons onions1 clove garlic2 eggs¼ cup heavy cream¼ cup fresh parsley2 teaspoons salt½ teaspoon black pepper¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Forming the Meatballs: To make it easier, use a small cookie dough scoop or your hands to form the meat mixture into balls. Aim for meatballs that are about 1" to 1 1/4" in diameter. This size works well for even cooking.
- Arranging on the Baking Sheet: Place each meatball on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space between them. Ideally, you'll make around 45 meatballs.
- Baking: Put the baking sheet with the meatballs into the preheated oven on the center rack. Bake for 15 minutes until they're cooked through and have a nice golden-brown color.
If you altered the ingedients above by doubling or tripling the recipe, you may also need to change the pan/dish size and adjust the cooking/baking time.
25+ Ways to Enjoy Homemade Meatballs
1. Spaghetti and Meatballs: Classic Italian comfort food – tender meatballs served over a bed of al-dente spaghetti with tomato sauce.
2. Meatball Subs: Hearty sandwiches filled with meatballs, marinara sauce, and melted cheese, served in a crusty sub roll.
3. Meatball Sliders: Mini meatball sandwiches are perfect for parties or as appetizers.
4. Swedish Meatball Gravy and Noodles: A classic dish featuring Swedish meatballs in a creamy, spiced gravy, served over egg noodles. The gravy enhances the meatballs’ flavor, while the noodles provide a satisfying base for the dish.
5. Sweet & Sour Meatball Stir fry: Use meatballs with various stir fry veggies smothered in this lovely Asian-inspired sweet and sour sauce
6. Meatball-Stuffed Calzones: Homemade or from a pizzeria, these folded pizzas encase meatballs for a satisfying meal.
7. Meatball Lasagna: Layers of pasta, cheese, and meatballs baked to perfection in a rich tomato sauce.
8. Meatball Skewers: A fun and convenient way to serve meatballs at gatherings, skewered with veggies.
9. Meatball Soup: Comforting and hearty soup with meatballs, vegetables, and broth.
10. Meatball Tacos: Fill soft or hard taco shells with meatballs, salsa, and toppings for a Mexican-inspired twist.
11. Meatball Lettuce Wraps: Enjoy meatballs wrapped in fresh lettuce leaves with your choice of sauce.
12. Meatball Stroganoff: A creamy sauce with meatballs served over egg noodles for a rich and satisfying dish.
13. Meatball and Rice Bowls: Serve meatballs over rice with vegetables and sauce for a complete meal.
14. Meatball Curry: A flavorful and spicy curry sauce paired with meatballs, served with rice or bread.
15. Sweet & Sour Meatballs: A simple 3-ingredient sweet and sour meatball, perfect for party appetizers.
16. Meatball Quesadillas: Melted cheese and meatballs sandwiched between tortillas, served with salsa and sour cream.
17. Meatball and Vegetable Stir-Fry: Combine meatballs and a medley of vegetables in a stir-fry sauce, served over rice or noodles.
18. Meatball and Mashed Potato Casserole: A comforting casserole combining meatballs, mashed potatoes, and gravy.
19. Meatball and Egg Breakfast Scramble: Start your day with a protein-packed breakfast by adding meatballs to scrambled eggs.
20. Easy Cheesy Bechamel Smothered Meatballs: Cheesy Bechamel sauce smothered meatballs served with texas toast.
21. Meatball Appetizer Platter: Create a diverse platter with meatballs, dips, and accompaniments for a party.
22. Meatball Casserole -All the delicious part of a meatball sub, but casserole style
23. Meatball and Vegetable Kebabs: Skewer meatballs with colorful vegetables for a delightful BBQ option.
24. Meatball and Pasta Salad: Add meatballs to a pasta salad for a hearty and satisfying side dish.
25. 3-Ingredient Apricot Glazed Meatballs: a sweet, yet savory appetizer or main meal dish that’s perfect for tailgating or parties
Conclusion: Savor the Flavor
There you have it – a homemade meatball recipe that’s both simple and sensational. With these carefully selected ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, you’ll create meatballs that are perfect for a variety of dishes.
These 25 serving ideas provide a diverse range of options for enjoying meatballs, from classic Italian dishes to creative fusion cuisine. Tailor them to your preferences, and get inspired to try new combinations!