Smothered hamburger steaks & gravy, aka Salisbury steak, is an easy throw-together dish that is made with ground meat, bread crumbs, and condensed soup simmered in rich mushroom gravy, ready in less than 30 minutes.
This dish is believed to have originated in the early 1900s when working-class families would often stretch their ground beef by adding it to stews and casseroles. It’s commonly found in restaurants throughout the Southern United States.
This smothered hamburger steaks recipe is a wonderful way to use cheaper ground meat such as 73% lean vs 90% lean beef, it also works with ground turkey or venison as well. When it comes to frugal recipes, Smothered Hamburger Steaks & Gravy is a dish that definitely delivers on flavor without breaking the bank.
This hearty meal is perfect for any time of year, and leftovers reheat well for lunch the next day. What makes this recipe so budget-friendly is that it calls for ingredients that are typically very inexpensive, such as ground beef, onions, and mushrooms.
In addition, the gravy can be made with either beef or vegetable broth, whichever you happen to have on hand. So if you’re looking for a delicious and economical way to feed your family, smothered hamburger steaks & gravy is definitely worth a try.
Smothered Hamburger Steaks & Gravy
1 (10.5 ounces) can of condensed French onion soup
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, turkey, or venison
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2- 1 c. sliced mushrooms (optional)
In a medium-sized bowl combine the ground meat of your choice with one-third cup of condensed French onion soup, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, and one egg, mixing well. If your family really enjoys onion, you can finely dice a small onion and add that as well.
Once the mixture is well combined, use your hands to divide it and form four to six large patties.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is sufficiently hot, add the patties and brown on both sides, draining off any excess fat, as desired.
While the hamburger steaks are cooking in the skillet, combine the flour and remaining condensed soup in a small bowl until smooth and fully incorporated. Add ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder, mixing well.
Pour the mixture over the browned hamburger patties, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 14-17 minutes. Stir the gravy occasionally to prevent scorching. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the mushrooms to the top.
As you can see, smothered hamburger steaks and gravy is a hearty and comforting dish that has remained popular for centuries. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight meal or a forgiving dish to fill you up affordably, smothered hamburger steaks and gravy is sure to hit the spot.
One of our favorite ways to serve this dish is over hot buttered noodles or with garlic-smashed potatoes and steamed veggies for a quick, nearly effortless dinner.
Smothered Hamburger Steaks & Gravy
- In a medium sized bowl combine ground beef or turkey, 1/3 c. condensed soup, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and egg mixing well.10.5 oz French onion soup, 1 ½ pounds ground beef, ½ cup dry bread crumbs, 1 large egg, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Form mixture into 4-6 large patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is sufficiently hot, add the patties and brown on both sides, draining off any excess fat.
- While the patties are browning, combine the flour and the remaining condensed soup in a small bowl. Add ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder, mixing well.10.5 oz French onion soup, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, ¼ cup ketchup, ¼ cup water, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- Pour the sauce mixture over the browned patties, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for about 14-17 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the mushrooms to the top.1 cup sliced mushrooms
If you altered the ingedients above by doubling or tripling the recipe, you may also need to change the pan/dish size and adjust the cooking/baking time.
Smothered Hamburger Steaks & Gravy FAQ
Does Salisbury steak freeze well?
Yes, this recipe freezes very well, simply place the leftover cooked steaks and gravy into a vacuum seal bag and remove the air, sealing them tight. They will last up to one year in the freezer if properly vacuum sealed.
Do I have to add mushrooms
Absolutely not, mushrooms are completely optional, but add a depth of flavor and also help extend the meat to provide more robust servings.
How long does salisbury steak last in the fridge?
Salisbury steak can last in the fridge for up to four days.