As the cooler weather sets in, I pull out this hearty Tuscan pepperoni stew recipe. Offering fresh scallions, bits of bell pepper, garlic and a blend of Italian seasonings, this filling stew is loaded with flavor, yet low in carbs . . .
The wonderful part about this stew is that it can be thrown together with minimal effort during the busy work-week or tossed into the slow-cooker before heading off to work in the morning. If you prepare the meat ahead of time and freeze it, you can add the frozen meat to the slow cooker.
While this dish doesn’t really need a side, crusty garlic bread goes really well with it.
Hearty Tuscan Style Pepperoni Stew
1 lb Ground Beef (or turkey, venison, etc)
4 oz pepperoni slices, cut into quarters
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 large bell pepper, diced finely
1 bunch scallions, washed & thinly sliced
1 Tbs Minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
1 tsp Olive oil
1- 6oz can Tomato Paste
1- 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes, undrained
4 c. Chicken Broth (about 2 cans)
1 tsp Dried Basil (or 1 Tbs Fresh chopped)
1 tsp Dried Oregano (or 1 Tbs Fresh chopped)
1 tsp Freshly ground Black Pepper
Optional: Fresh Shredded Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheeses
- Brown the ground meat in a large skillet, over medium heat, until no longer pink, carefully drain any excess grease.
- Add the bell pepper and scallions to the hot pan, sauteing for about a minute.
- Add the minced garlic, basil, oregano, and black pepper, stirring well to incorporate the spices evenly throughout the mixture.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken stock/broth, tomato paste, and quartered pepperoni, stirring well until thoroughly mixed.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh mushrooms, cook an additional 3-5 minutes until mushrooms. Remove from heat, let sit 5 minutes, then serve with freshly grated cheeses and hot garlic breadsticks.
Crockpot or Slow Cooker Directions:
Brown the ground meat in a large skillet, over medium heat, until no longer pink, carefully draining any excess grease; Add the green onions and bell pepper and saute for about a minute.
Add the minced garlic, basil, oregano, and black pepper, stirring well to incorporate the spices evenly throughout the mixture. Pour the seasoned meat mixture into the slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients, stirring well.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours.