Philly Cheesesteak Peppers is a savory steak mixture consisting of tender beef morsels, seasoned sauteed onions, smothered in provolone cheese, and fully engulfed by fresh green peppers, then grilled to perfection. Seriously, what more could you ask for?
This recipe is incredibly easy to prepare and takes about 18-20 minutes from start to finish for a quick & healthy meal. It is a terrific way to utilize up a small portion of steak or a bit of leftover roasted beef. If you follow a keto or gluten-free lifestyle, these easy Philly cheesesteak peppers are right up your alley!
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak Peppers
This recipe is very hand for using up small amounts of leftover beef from steak, roasts, and more. Start by cutting the green peppers in half and removing the seeds. Line each green pepper with a slice of provolone cheese.
Heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet until hot, then add the onion slices. Season generously with Montreal steak seasoning. Saute until the onions are caramelized. If you want to add mushrooms to your recipe, this would be a good time to do it!
Once the onions are fully caramelized, add the thinly sliced beef and heat through. For beef you can use anything that you have on hand, roast beef, steak-ums cut into thin strips, a piece of leftover steak that is thinly sliced against the grain, etc.
Stuff each cheese-lined pepper half with the seasoned caramelized onion, beef mixture, then top with another slice of provolone cheese.
Place the pepper halves on a hot grill and cook until they reach the tenderness level that you desire. We prefer ours to be hot but slightly crisp, rather than mushy or soft.
Remove from the grill, let the peppers rest for about 3 minutes or so, then cut them in half and serve.
Philly Cheesesteak Peppers
2 Green Peppers
1 large onion, cut into slices
8 slices provolone cheese
8 oz Cooked Beef
2 – 3 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
Drizzle of olive oil
- Pre-Heat the Grill
- While the grill is heating, cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and line each half with a slice of provolone cheese.
- In a skillet, heat oil, saute onions, then sprinkle generously with Montreal steak seasoning.
- Add the meat (you can use leftover sliced steak, roast beef, steak-ums, etc) and sauté for just a minute.
- Fill each pepper half with the seasoned steak and onion mixture.
- Top each stuffed pepper with a slice of provolone and transfer them to the grill for about 6-8 minutes
- Grill them until the pepper is cooked to desired tenderness and the cheese is fully melted
Alternate Cooking Instructions
You can also bake them in the oven if you wish but it will take a bit more time from start to finish. They’ll take about 17-20 minutes in a 375° preheated oven.
Luckily, this recipe is also low-carb, gluten-free, and entirely keto-friendly!