Scallops are one of our favorites to indulge in, but I was missing the flavor of creamy risotto when we first switched to a keto lifestyle. These seared scallops over cauliflower rice risotto really matched both the texture and flavor of traditional risotto.
How to Make Seared Scallops over Cauliflower Rice Risotto
The trick to getting a perfect sear on the scallops is to ensure that they are completely dry before cooking. Place them on a paper towel to drain, then pat them with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Season the scallops lightly with salt and pepper.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, once the oil is hot, add the butter. Place the scallops in the hot pan and sear them, cooking for about 2 minutes on each side. Spoon the fat over them, basting as they fry.
Seared Scallops over Cauliflower Rice Risotto Recipe
1 lb jumbo scallops, fresh or flash frozen or substitute fresh prawns instead
2 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1 lb package of riced cauliflower (4 cups of riced cauliflower)
3 tbsp Butter
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 Tbs shredded Red Bell Pepper
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the salted butter, garlic, bell pepper, and green onions to the skillet and cook until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the skillet and continue to cook until it is almost tender about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until all ingredients are well incorporated. Lower the heat so that the cauliflower rice does not stick and continue cooking until the cauliflower rice reaches your desired level of tenderness. Turn off the heat.
- Using a paper towel, pat the scallops dry, then sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon of each salt and pepper on top of the scallops.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add butter and olive oil and wait for it to start bubbling.
- Cook scallops for 2 minutes on each side in the pan. Remove the pan from the heat so they don’t continue to cook.
- Add a large spoon of risotto to a plate.
- Top this dish with scallops, green onions, and melted butter.
Garnish with a couple of sprigs of steamed asparagus and wedges of fresh lemon.