If you love and miss the flavor of Mexican rice, your tastebuds will thank you for this amazing Keto Mexican cauliflower rice recipe. It offers all the flavor and texture of traditional Mexican rice with a fraction of the carbs,
If you’ve attempted cauliflower rice in the past and couldn’t get past the cauliflower taste, this recipe is for you!
How to Make Keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Remove core and leaves from cauliflower. Cut into florets and then rice the cauliflower by pulsing it a food processor. If you don’t happen to have a food processor, you can use a grater. Set aside.
In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the coconut oil, then add the tomato paste, mixing to combine the two.
Add the diced onion and chopped jalapeno to the skillet, cooking until the mixture begins to soften. This generally takes about three minutes or so.
Measure out the minced garlic.
Add the minced garlic to the pan. stirring gently, for about a minute, then add the chicken broth.
The mixture will be sizzling! Stir well, allowing all the ingredients to incorporate, ensuring that tomato paste is smooth. Sprinkle the chili powder and Ancho chili powder over the mixture, stirring well.
We love the added burst of heat from the Ancho chili powder, but if you’re preparing this recipe for children or those sensitive to heat, it might be best to leave this one out.
Next, add the riced cauliflower to the skillet. Season liberally with salt and pepper, then fold the cauliflower into the seasoned broth until well coated and red.
Continue cooking, stirring only occasionally, until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated and the cauliflower is tender. (This takes about ten to fifteen minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and fold in the chopped cilantro.
Serve the rice topped with freshly diced tomatoes, a dollop of sour cream, and few leaves of additional cilantro, if desired. We prefer to serve this with Keto Enchilada chicken over the top, then add diced avocado, slices of pickled jalapeno peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped tomatoes.
Keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice Recipe
5 cups fresh riced cauliflower (about 1 medium head)
2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 large jalapeno, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4-1/2 tsp of Ancho Chili Powder (optional)
salt & pepper, to taste
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
diced tomato, optional
sour cream, optional
- Rice the cauliflower, set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add the tomato paste, stirring until smooth.
- Add the onion and jalapeno, sauteing until soft.
- To the skillet, add the garlic, saute for 1 minute, then add the chicken broth, mixing well.
- Add the Chili powder(s), stirring to incorporate.
- Stir in the riced cauliflower, folding gently until evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste preference.
- Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring infrequently, until cauliflower is cooked throughout and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and stir in freshly chopped cilantro.
- Serve with diced tomatoes, a dollop of sour cream and a couple of sprigs of fresh cilantro on top.
Serving Size: 1 cup Calories: 117 calories Fat: 7g. Carbohydrates: 11g. Fiber: 4g. Total Carbs: 7g Net Carbs Protein: 4g
Note: The nutrition data provided is based on the quantities listed and the brand(s) of products I personally used. These can fluctuate depending on the brands you choose to use, read more here.