Need something a little different to wow your friends and family at the next gathering? You’re in for a treat with these chocolate-covered whipped cream filled strawberry jello shots. Quite a mouthful just to say it, but wait until it actually touches your tastebuds, WOWZA!!
Juicy, plump fresh strawberries filled with whipped cream flavored gelatin, tightly capped with chocolate, for a completely edible shot glass treat!
I needed something a little different to bring with us to a boat tie-up aka a “redneck Yacht club” event. If you’re not familiar with the term, that’s when you tie a bunch of boats together and float around the lake, barbecuing, swimming, dancing, etc.; I digress….
With the lengthy title, these strawberry jello shots sound a bit complicated, but don’t worry, they’re super simple. We’ll share the method and the printable recipe is at the bottom of the page.
How to Make Chocolate-Covered Whipped Cream Filled Strawberry Jello Shots
You might want to grab a helper to get the strawberries prepared, which is the most time-consuming part of the entire recipe. Remove the hull and cut the centers out of the strawberries. I have found that the tip of a carrot peeler works great for this.
Keep in mind that the more of the inside of the strawberry that you remove, the more jello shot mixture you can fit in it. Be careful that you don’t puncture the wall of the strawberry or the jello shot filling will seep out before it sets.
Once the centers of the strawberries have been removed, stand the berries up in empty ice cube trays or egg cartons, etc. Keeping them upright makes it easier to fill them. If the strawberries have been chilled first, the shots will set almost immediately, which means you can make them last minute before a gathering/party, etc.
Prepare the Whipped Cream Jello Shot Filling
In a small saucepan bring half of the water to a boil. In the meantime, measure half a cup of VERY COLD water into a dish and sprinkle the Knox gelatin over the water. Let it set about a minute.
Add the boiling water to the gelatin mixture, add the sugar and whisk until well blended. let it cool a few minutes, you want it lukewarm before continuing to the next step.
Add one cup of ice-cold whipped cream flavored vodka. Stir well. Using a syringe (we repurposed our turkey injector without the metal tip on it), fill the strawberries with the whipped cream jello filling.
Place the strawberries in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the chocolate caps.
Finally, Add the Chocolate Cap!
In a glass bowl combine the chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate bar, and solid vegetable shortening. Microwave for thirty seconds, remove from microwave, stir well. Repeat until chocolate is semi-melted, then stir briskly until the remaining chocolate melts. Do not put it in for longer than thirty seconds at a time or your chocolate will burn.
Spoon a small dollop of chocolate over the top of each filled strawberry to seal in the jello shot.
This makes 8 Dozen, and trust me, you’ll want to eat ALL 8 dozen yourself, these are simply amazing!
Caution! They’re very addicting and will hit you faster than you think, I’ve eaten 7 just adding this recipe for you!
Chocolate-Covered Whipped Cream Filled Strawberry Jello Shots
2 packets of Knox Plain Gelatin
1/2 c. Boiling Water
1/2 c. Cold Water
1 c. Ice Cold Pinnacle Brand Whipped Vodka
1 Tbs sugar
6 lbs strawberries, centers/stems removed
Dark Chocolate Caps:
1 c. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 oz unsweetened Dark Chocolate bar
1 Tbs Solid Vegetable Shortening
- Remove the centers of the strawberries and stand them upright in empty ice cube trays or egg cartons.
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 c. water to a boil. In the meantime, measure 1/2 c VERY COLD water into a dish and sprinkle the Knox gelatin over the water. Let it set about a minute.
- Add the boiling water to the gelatin water, add 1 tbs sugar and whisk until well blended. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add 1 cup of ice-cold vodka to the gelatin mixture, stir well. Using a syringe fill the hollowed out strawberries with the whipped cream jello filling.
- Let them set in the fridge while you prepare the chocolate caps.
- In a glass bowl combine the chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate bar (1/2 a square) and shortening. Microwave for 30 seconds, take out, stir well, repeat until chocolate is semi-melted, then stir briskly until the remaining chocolate melts.
- Cover the top of each filled strawberry to seal in the jello shot.