Peanut butter might seem a bit unusual for an ice cream flavor but it is absolutely delicious when paired with hot fudge sauce, Reese’s- Eat your heart out!
To make the most decadent ice cream, one must make a light custard first. Don’t let that scare you, it’s quite simple, but it’s definitely the trick to smooth, creamy PERFECT ice cream every single time.
Peanut Butter Ice Cream
1/2 c. Sugar
1 c. half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. Heavy Cream
1/3 c. Peanut Butter Creamy or Chunky, your preference
- In a small saucepan, combine eggs and sugar, whisking constantly over medium heat until the mixture reaches EXACTLY 160 F on a digital thermometer.
- Immediately remove from heat add peanut butter, whisking gently until smooth, creamy and completely combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a chilled bowl resting on ice to cool rapidly, as it’s cooling add 1 c. Half & Half, mixing well.
- Add the half & half/cream and vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Immediately pour the chilled mixture into a prepared ice cream maker (any machine you happen to have!) and process according to manufacturers directions.
As you can from our photos we’re opting to use a KitchenAid Mixer attachment. If you’re using the same, here’s a very helpful tip- be sure to turn your mixer on BEFORE adding the ice cream mix to the bowl, or your paddle will freeze in place- INSTANTLY.
Once it’s mixed, you can serve immediately as a soft serve, or transfer the ice cream to a bowl, cover and freeze a couple of hours to firm.
This makes about 4 1/2 cups of light, fluffy, peanut butter ice cream, it’s absolutely delectable on a fat slice of chocolate cake with chocolate fudge frosting.