As Autumn rolls in, so do the recipes for mouthwatering dishes containing pumpkin. . . muffins, pies, cakes, soups and more. Which begs the dilemma for those who don’t have access to solid pack canned pumpkin, just how much should you use? . . .
Canned pumpkin contains nothing but Canned pumpkin, no spices, salt or other ingredients. So the answer to how do I substitute fresh pumpkin for canned, of course, is to use the exact same amount the recipe calls for.
If a recipe calls for a 15 oz can of pumpkin, use 15 oz of fresh (prepared) pumpkin which is about 2 cups MINUS 1 Tablespoon.
How to Prepare Fresh Pumpkin
Preheat oven to 375F
Wash the exterior of the pumpkin, then cut it into quarters (Cut it in half and then cut the halves again). Scrape out the innards (just the fibrous strings and seeds, much like you would if you were carving a pumpkin for Halloween).
Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet skin side UP and cover tightly with foil.
Roast in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until it is fork tender.
Scoop the soft pulp from the rind and transfer into a blender or food processor. Puree.
Pour the puree into a cheesecloth lined sieve and strain for about an hour to ensure that all the excess liquid has drained away.
Measure out 2 cups of puree per recipe into vacuum seal bags and seal it. These will last up to 18 months in the freezer. If using freezer ziploc bags, they’ll last about 4 months before becoming frost-bitten.
After cooking and draining, this is about what to expect from a typical cooking pumpkin.
2 1/2- lb.pie pumpkin =1-3/4 cups puree
3 1/2-lb.pie pumpkin=2-1/2 cups puree
6-lb. carving pumpkin=2-3/4 cups puree
5-lb. round pumpkin=3-1/3 cups puree
Alternatively, if you are completely out of pumpkin, you can use sweet potato puree or butternut squash puree (well drained!) in place of the pumpkin.
Love Pumpkin? So do we, here are some delicious recipes you might like as well:
- 2 Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins
- 4 Layer Scrumptious Pumpkin Cake
- Caramelized Pumpkin Sticky Buns
- Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Crockpot Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- Diabetic Pumpkin Muffins
- GF Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Garlic Herb Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Gingersnap Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Honey Roasted Pumpkin Spinach Salad
- Low Fat Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Mini- Pumpkin Muffins in a Jar
- No-Bake Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Bourbon Pancakes
- Pumpkin Better than Sex Cake
- Pumpkin Bread in a Mug
- Pumpkin Bread w/ Peanut Butter Chips
- Pumpkin Breakfast Casserole
- Pumpkin Cream Dream
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Pumpkin Layer No Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Latte
- Pumpkin Pie Frosty
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pierogies w/ Pecan Sage Cream Sauce
- Pumpkin Pudding
- Pumpkin Roll Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Swirl Dessert
- Pumpkin Tiramisu
- Pumpkin Quesadillas
- Pumpkin Walnut Bread
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies- Ultimate Recipe
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Soft Pumpkin Cookies with cream cheese frosting
Body Care Recipes:
What are your favorite pumpkin recipes?