This recipe is called the amazing “I can’t believe it’s Cauliflower” Pizza Crust! This quick cook recipe takes very little effort to prepare but makes a wonderfully healthful alternative to gluten laden heavy pizza dough.
This gluten free veggie based crust can be adapted with a number of different seasoning blends, add a touch of chipotle pepper for a little kick, or vary the italian seasonings to your taste preference. If you’re watching calories, use 2 egg whites instead of 2 whole eggs.
2 c. raw, grated (or chopped in food processor) Fresh cauliflower*
1 1/2- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
2 tsp oregano
1 Tbs parsley
1/2 tsp Basil
Toppings of your choice (Cheese, Chopped Onions, Peppers, Pepperoni, sauce, etc)
Preheat oven to 450F
Grate or chop the cauliflower in a food processor (or by hand) into a medium size bowl. Add the eggs, the mozzarella, oregano, parsley and basil, mixing well until the ingredients are incorporated.
Press the cauliflower mixture into small circles on a baking pan or pizza stone that has been lined with parchment paper to form mini-pizzas or one large pizza.
Bake for 12-15 minutes at 450F, remove from oven, add sauce, toppings of your choice and cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes.
A Couple notes:
- Frozen Cauliflower is Not recommended for this recipe, it mushes too easily
- Spreading it too thick results in a doughy textured center
- Try them with homemade pesto and chunks of chicken, onions and peppers
- While it’s important to wash your produce before beginning, it’s equally important to remove as much of the water from it as possible to ensure a nice crispy crust. In order to do so we used a basic salad spinner and “whipped” the water off the cauliflower.
- The pizza crusts can be placed on wax paper and frozen until solid, then transferred to vacuum seal or ziploc style bags & returned to the freezer until needed for quick make ahead healthy pizza for lunch or snacks.