Watermelon is a favored summertime treat, here is a simple, light salad recipe that incorporates watermelon, sweet Vidalia onions, and cucumbers with a lovely dressing that you’re sure to love!
Watermelon salad is a summertime favorite, and it’s easy to see why. The sweetness of the melon pairs perfectly with the acidity of the vinegar, and the herbs add a touch of flavor. But what really makes watermelon salad taste so good is the balance of textures.
The crunch of the cucumbers, the creaminess of the feta, and the juiciness of the melon all come together to create a salad that is both refreshing and satisfying. So next time you’re looking for a summertime treat, be sure to try watermelon salad. You won’t be disappointed.
Is cheese and watermelon good?
When it comes to food pairing, there are few combinations that are as polarizing as cheese and watermelon. Many people swear by the classic flavor combo which offers an appetizing mix of salty and sweet, myself included!
1 small seedless watermelon
1 Vidalia or other sweet onion
1 Seedless cucumber, washed, sliced, and quartered (optional)
6-8 strawberries, hulled & quartered (optional)
1/4 cup White wine vinegar
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs Sugar
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
4-ounce feta cheese, crumbled
6 whole mint sprigs
Cut the watermelon into 1″ cubes and place in a bowl. Slice the sweet Vidalia onion thinly and set aside.
Lightly chop the fresh mint and set it aside.
Combine white wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and chopped mint. Mix well and let the dressing rest for 20 minutes.
In a large bowl place the watermelon chunks, Vidalia onion slices, and quartered cucumber slices. Pour the dressing over the top off all and toss gently to coat.
Add the crumbled Feta to the top, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and garnish with mint sprigs.
The cucumber and strawberries are optional but add a nice dimension of flavor. That’s all there is to it!
Don’t toss out the watermelon rind- here’s a delicious way to enjoy that too- Mouthwatering Watermelon Rind Pickles.
How long does watermelon salad keep in the fridge?
Watermelon salad is a refreshing and healthy dish that’s perfect for summer picnics and potlucks. But how long does it keep in the fridge?
The answer depends on a few factors, such as the type of watermelon you use, the ingredients in the salad, and how it’s stored. If you use a seedless watermelon, it will last a bit longer than if you use a seeded watermelon.
To extend the shelf life of your watermelon salad, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It should keep for 3-4 days.
- 4 ounce feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 6 whole mint sprigs
- Cut the watermelon into 1" cubes and place in a bowl. Slice the sweet vidalia onion thinly and set aside.
- Combine white wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and chopped mint. Mix well and let the dressing rest for 20 minutes.¼ cup White wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes, 2 tablespoon Sugar, 2 tablespoon fresh mint
- In a large bowl place the watermelon chunks, vidalia onion slices and quartered cucumber slices. Add quartered strawberries, if desired.1 small seedless watermelon, 1 medium Vidalia onion, 1 large Seedless cucumber, 6-8 strawberries
- Pour the dressing over the top off all and toss gently to coat.
- Add the crumbled Feta to the top, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, garnish with mint sprigs.4 ounce feta cheese, ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar, 6 whole mint sprigs
- Both the cucumber and strawberries are optional but add a nice dimension of flavor. That's all there is to it!
If you altered the ingedients above by doubling or tripling the recipe, you may also need to change the pan/dish size and adjust the cooking/baking time.