Green smoothies are all the rage these days. It’s no wonder with all the vitamins you can pack into a blender. They are super healthy and can be very tasty. Think about it, what a way to start your day. Making the taste of a green smoothie something you crave is the key. I like to think about it as a tropical paradise in a cup. There is something about starting your day off with breakfast you know is super healthy that make the day go better.
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- When fresh pineapple is in season dice it up and flash freeze on cookie sheets. Store in freezer safe plastic bags
- Use canned pineapple juice when it’s on sale and freeze it in ice cube trays, store the frozen cubes in freezer safe ziplock bags.
- When you open a can of crushed or sliced pineapple and don’t use it all, freeze the remainder for use in smoothies.
- 1 Frozen banana
- Once they have gone uneaten on your counter toss them in the freezer, peel and all. The peels turn black but the fruit stays unharmed and adds a wonderful texture for your smoothies. Just slice off the peel and discard when ready to use.
- 1 fresh orange
- In a pinch orange juice will work also
- 2 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- Cold brewed green tea or other liquid of your choice.
I have recently discovered that brewed green tea is a wonderful liquid for smoothies. Green tea is so healthy for you also.
Place the pineapple, banana, and spinach in the blender. Squeeze the juice from the orange, or pour about ½ cup of orange juice in. Start with 1 cup cold brewed green tea, or other liquid of your choice. Water will work also.
Blend on high, until nice and smooth. Adjust the texture to your personal taste by adding more liquid or a few ice cubes.
This is a wonderfully refreshing smoothie to start your day with.
When fruit is at its peak in the stores, and prices are low, slice and flash freeze it for use in smoothies.
If you make too large of a batch, freeze the leftovers in small containers. Place in the fridge at night to thaw and you have a perfect smoothie in the morning ready to go. The kids love frozen smoothies after school, just like ice cream.