This is a wonderful inexpensive “premeditated leftovers” recipe. Accompany an evening dinner by steaming fresh green beans and whole red potatoes for healthy, delicious side dishes to enhance your favorite grilled or broiled meat. The next day, you’ll feast on a fabulous, flavorful Lemon Pepper Tuna Green Bean salad balanced with healthy carbs and protein.
- 1 1/2 pounds slender green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 large red potatoes, boiled, cooled & diced
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 can tuna drained, flaked
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning
Steam the green beans in an orka silicone steamer dish or in pot of boiling water until crisp-tender. Carefully scoop out the tender crisp beans using a strainer and transfer them into a large bowl of ice water to cool completely, about 7-10 minutes.
Drain the green beans and pat dry with a towel.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, oil, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, whisking briskly to incorporate. Place the tomatoes, basil and parsley in a large serving bowl. Add the drained flaked tuna and toss gently to combine.
Add the green beans and diced potatoes, fold gently to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat
Approximate Nutrition Data:
Per Serving: Calories: 321; Total Fat: 15 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 17 grams; Total carbohydrates: 31 grams; Sugar: 5 grams; Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 8 milligrams; Sodium: 1217 milligrams
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / martinturzak