Need a fast 15 minute or less munchie to feed your holiday guests this season? Try these yummy Chex lemon buddies snack mix!
How to Make Chex Lemon Buddies Snack Mix
Seriously, this recipe is one of the easiest holiday snack mixes to throw together. To get started, measure the cereal into a large bowl and set it aside. The original recipe calls for rice Chex, but this one is also good with a mixture of corn and rice Chex.
In a medium-sized microwavable bowl combine the butter, white chocolate chips, fresh grated lemon peel, and lemon juice. Nuke in the microwave for a minute, remove and stir. Nuke it another 30 seconds, stir. If the mixture is not fully incorporated and completely smooth, nuke for another 30 seconds. Repeat until the mixture is completely melted and integrated throughout.
As you can see from the photo below, I didn’t have freshly grated lemon peel, instead, I used dried lemon peel. While the flavor is still pretty good, the Chex lemon buddies are SO MUCH BETTER with freshly grated lemon.
Pour the melted lemon mixture over the Chex cereal, gently folding the cereal until it is completely coated in the lemon chocolate mixture. Pour the entire amount of powdered sugar over the bowl. Seal tightly with saran wrap (or you can invert a plate over the bowl, but hang on to it carefully!) Shake gently to coat the cereal well with powdered sugar.
If you lack wrist or arm strength to invert a bowl, you can transfer the mixture to a 2 gallon plastic bag, then add the powdered sugar over the top, seal the bag and shake gently to coat all the pieces.
Chex Lemon Buddies
9 c. Rice Chex Cereal
1 1/4 c. White Chocolate Chips
1/4 c. butter or margarine
4 tsp Freshly Grated Lemon Peel
2 T. Fresh lemon juice
2 c. powdered confectioners sugar
- Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium-size glass bowl combine butter, white chocolate chips, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
- Heat in microwave on full power for one minute, remove and stir. Heat for another 30 seconds, stir. Repeat until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the Chex cereal, mixing well until completely coated.
- Pour powdered sugar over the bowl.
- Seal tightly with saran wrap (or you can invert a plate over the bowl, but hang on to it carefully!)
- Shake gently to coat the cereal well with powdered sugar.
- Store the Chex lemon buddies in a sealed container or airtight bag.
Recipe adapted from General Mills Cereal Box!