Whip together 5 simple ingredients to create a delicious beef cheeseball that everyone will rave about! It takes less than 10 minutes to throw together and is one of my most requested appetizers at gatherings.
I’ve been making this recipe for nearly 20 years and I have to admit this is probably the only useful thing I ever received from my step-monster, honestly speaking! The flavors of the beef, scallions, and garlic come together nicely and are even better the next day.
How to Make a Beef Cheeseball
In a medium-size bowl or mixer place a block of cream cheese that has been resting at room temperature for at least twenty minutes, whip until smooth.
While it’s mixing, chop up the dried beef into small bits. Add the beef pieces, the thinly sliced green onions and garlic powder. Mix the mixture well to allow all the ingredients to fully incorporate.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl, toss on the shredded cheddar cheese
Swirl the bowl to form a cheese-coated ball. Transfer the cheeseball to a dish, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. We really recommend that you allow the cheeseball to rest in the refrigerator at least two hours prior to serving to give the flavors time to meld together.
The dried beef cheeseball recipe can be doubled to serve a larger crown or cut in half, as needed.
Some folks like to use chopped nuts or bacon bits in place of the cheese or in addition to it. Serve with a buttery cracker, such as Ritz crackers or cut veggies, as desired.
If you don’t happen to have green onions, Vidalia or red onions will do nicely as well. Use what you have available.
Beef Cheeseball Recipe
2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 ounces dried beef, finely chopped
2 green onions, chopped (or 1/3 cup minced onion)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Place softened cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl, whip until smooth.
- Add dried beef, chopped onions, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Scrape the mixture down in the bowl, sprinkle generously with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Swirl the bowl in a circle to form a ball, coating it with cheese.
- Transfer the cheeseball to a serving dish, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- The recipe can be doubled or halved as needed.
Add-Ons: If you prefer, roll the cheese ball in chopped nuts or finely chopped cooked bacon in place of the cheese or in addition to it. Serve with Ritz crackers or various cut-up vegetables, as desired.
If you prefer a lot of cheese you can also add 1/3- 1/2 cup into the cream cheese dried beef mixture as well.
If you love cheeseballs, you might also enjoy these:
- Cinnamon Apple Cherry Cheeseball– a tantalizing blend of walnuts, cherries, and spices to dip fruit such as apple slices, grapes or cantaloupe chunks
- Bacon Jalapeno Cheeseball – all the flavors of jalapeno poppers without the hassle of heating the kitchen or grill
- Chocolate Mint Cheeseball Mix – a sweeter cheeseball best served with holiday sugar cookies and apple slices