It’s time to say goodbye to canned pie filling! Making homemade peach pie filling from scratch with fresh peaches is easy. You can use it to prepare peach pie, a cobbler, crisps, and more.
This make-ahead homemade peach pie filling is a wonderful way to use up those sweet, juice fresh summer peaches and be able to have them on hand during chilly winter months.
How to Make Your Own Peach Pie Filling
Hopefully, you’ve already prepared your peaches ahead of time, as you’ll need six pounds of peaches for this pie filling recipe.
One pound of peaches is equal to 2 3/4 to 3 cups of sliced peaches, or 3 to 4 medium-size peaches.
You’ll need six pounds of fresh peach slices (about 18 cups of peaches) once your peaches are pitted and peeled, then place them in a deep saucepan.
To prepare the filling, combine the following ingredients into a medium-size bowl, mixing well:
- 2 1/4 c. Sugar
- 1/2 c. Flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Sprinkle the spiced sugar mixture over the prepared peaches, then gently fold it in. Let the peaches stand, covered, at room temperature for about thirty minutes. This gives the flavors time to incorporate together.
Add the following:
- 2 tsp lemon peel
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
Stirring gently to incorporate the lemon evenly throughout the peaches. Cook the peaches over medium heat until the filling begins to thicken. The point is not to cook the peaches completely. You only want to thicken the filling.
Remove the pie filling from heat, cool a few minutes, ladle into vacuum seal bags and seal.
Lay flat in the freezer. Once they’ve been frozen you can stand them up to save space, but if you don’t lay them flat to begin with they’ll freeze all wonky and take up too much space. This recipe makes enough filling for four ample pies.
To use simply thaw, pour into prepared pie crust and bake at 375°F for 45 min or until bubbly and browned.
Homemade Peach Pie Filling
This make ahead OAMC (once a month cooking) homemade peach pie filling recipe makes enough filling for about four large pies.
6 lbs Prepared Peaches
2 1/4 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Flour
1/2 tsp. ground Nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp lemon peel
1/4 c. lemon juice
- In a medium-size bowl combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon, mixing well.
- Place the prepared peaches in a large saucepan gently fold spiced sugar mixture into the peaches.
- Let stand, covered, at room temperature, for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Turn the burner on and cook the peaches over medium heat until the filling begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat, cool a few minutes, ladle into vacuum seal bags and seal.
- Lay the sealed peach filling flat in the freezer.
- To use simply thaw in a sink full of cold water, transfer the filling into raw pie crust, and bake at 375°F for 45-50 min or until bubbly and browned.