This zesty fiesta salsa recipe is my absolute favorite. You can alter the level of spiciness by altering the amount of jalapeño peppers. I made a couple batches of these this year, but will definitely need to make more!
First, gather all of your ingredients & anyone you can con into helping you chop up veggies.
To easily peel tomatoes, dip them into boiling water for 30-60 seconds, or until skins crack. Immediately plunge them into ice water and let them set for about 2 minutes. The skins will peel off quite easily now.
Some folks prefer that the tomatoes are chopped, seeded, peeled and cored. I simply peeled and diced them for my recipe. The seeds certainly don’t bother us. Prepare the rest of your veggies, be sure to wear gloves when chopping your Jalapeños or you will definitely feel it later on!
Make Your Own Fiesta Salsa
In a large Saucepan Combine
- 10 C. Prepared Tomatoes (approx 6lbs)
- 5 C. Chopped -seeded Green Peppers (approx 2 lbs)
- 5 c. chopped onions – I use 1/2 red & 1/2 yellow (approx 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 1/2 c. Chopped Seeded Jalapeños (about 1 lb)
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs. Fresh Cilantro, minced
- 1 Tbs. Salt
- 1 1/4 c. Cider Vinegar
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle the hot salsa into hot prepared jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace. Adjust two-piece caps and process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
As you can see from the picture above, this salsa is very colorful and makes a lovely addition to holiday gift baskets, (if you can manage to keep it in the house that long!). It’s not a rare occasion to catch my children eating a jarful with a Spoon.
Level of Spiciness: Mild, Taste Bud Tingler, Who Needs a Liver?
The above Recipe is a mild to medium spice salsa depending on the hotness of your Jalapeños. To make a milder Salsa simply reduce your Jalapeños by 1/3 c. and use an additional 1/3 c. chopped Green Pepper.
To make “Who Needs A Liver Salsa”– which is my favorite, replace a couple of the jalapeños with habanero Peppers. Be sure to label it accordingly for the ER docs. *wink*
- Once again, this makes a great Gift Basket addition, simply tie some Raffia ribbon to the top, place it in a gift basket with some cornbread mix, a couple new potholders with jalapeño Prints, and some homemade southwest mix seasoning
- Simply present a couple jars with a cute card and I guarantee they’ll beg for more next year.