Are they muffins or donuts? We’re not sure, but we call this tender muffin-shaped donut bites Muff-nuts!
As tasty as their fried counterpart, these tasty morsels are our healthier version of “fried” donuts, but with all the flavor and tenderness of fresh cake donuts, without the mess of rolling.
Whether you call them duff-ins, muff-nuts, or donut muffins, they’re mouthwateringly delicious! Muffins are pretty easy to make, first, you combine all the dry ingredients, mixing them together.
Then you combine all of the wet ingredients, mixing them together, then you add the WET ingredients to the DRY ingredients and mix them just until ALL of the ingredients are wet. Period.
If you over-mix the batter, you’ll end up with dry, flat muffins with pronounced tunnels through them, my husband refers to these as dusty muffins. No one likes dusty muffins, so don’t over mix them.
How to Make Muff-Nuts- Video
2 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 C. Sugar
1 Large Egg or 2 small eggs
1/4 c. Melted butter
1 c. Milk, room temperature, or slightly warmed
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
Chopped Nuts if you have some
In a medium bowl add flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and sugar, mixing well. Then add eggs, melted butter, and milk, mixing until moistened and most lumps gone, but avoid over-stirring.
At this point, If you’d like, fold in a handful of chopped nuts to the batter. Both walnuts or pecans are a decent choice.
Spoon into greased muffin tins and then lightly sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake at 400F for 12-17 minutes
If you’d prefer a Duffins’ Coffee cake, spread the batter in a buttered 9″x9″ pan and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.
If you want to make these ahead of time as a homemade convenience mix, simply place all of the dry ingredients in a baggie and add a label that states:
Directions: To contents of the bag- add 2 eggs, 1/4 c. melted butter & 1 c. Milk, mix and bake at 400F 12-17
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg (or 2 small eggs)
- ¼ cup Melted butter
- 1 cup Milk (room temperature, or slightly warmed)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional (Chopped Nuts, if you have some)
- Cinnamon & Sugar Mix
- In a medium bowl add flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and sugar, mixing well. Then add eggs, melted butter, and milk, mixing until moistened and most lumps gone, but avoid over-stirring.
- At this point, If you'd like, fold in a handful of chopped nuts to the batter. Both walnuts or pecans are a decent choice.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins and then lightly sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for 12-17 minutes
- If you'd prefer a Duffins' Coffee cake, spread the batter in a buttered 9"x9" pan and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.
Make Ahead Mix Directions:
Place all dry ingredients in a baggie, seal. Attach directions tag.
- Place contents of bag in a bowl, add 2 eggs, 1/4 c. melted butter & 1 c. Milk, mix until moistened. Bake at 400°F for 12-17 minutes
If you altered the ingedients above by doubling or tripling the recipe, you may also need to change the pan/dish size and adjust the cooking/baking time.
7 thoughts on “Muff-Nuts”
this recipe needs some editing. some recipes use a capital t to indicate a tablespoon. is you baking powder a tsp.
or a t.?
after the sugar is listed a new line should be started for the mixing instruction.
if i can get an answer on the t/t.
thing i’d love to try this recipe!
These look super yummy, but I have to say that the name made me LOL!!!
tsp OR Tsp or t= is Teaspoon (note the lack of “B”)
tbs OR TBSor T= Tablespoon
Many older recipes are written this way.
Another way to tell is by looking at the amount of flour called for in a recipe. For leavening in a recipe, baking powder is usually called for for 1 1/2 tsp per cup of flour.
yum! i’m going to make these after dinner tonight.
this recipe really makes me happy. why? since it gives the option of two eggs.
i can cut the recipe in half without dividing the egg in half.
how many does this make? 12 or 24 muffins?
made 12 for us, mrturk