If you love a hearty beef stew, rich in seasonings and flavor, this simple all natural homemade beef stew seasoning mix recipe is for you! An enticing combination of spices and seasonings brings out the flavor of even the cheapest cuts of beef, stretching your food budget to the max.
This hearty stew seasoning mix is perfect for use with venison or other game meats (emu, moose, venison) as well.
Beef Stew Seasoning Mix
1 cup Instant Flour (Wondra)
2 teaspoons Oregano
1 tablespoon basil
2 tablespoons + 1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Teaspoons black pepper
2 tablespoons + 1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tablespoons + 1 tsp Paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tbs Celery Seed
2 tablespoons + 1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp. rosemary
- Measure all of the ingredients into a medium bowl, mixing very well.
- Pour into a jar, cover & add a label with directions for use.
- To use: add 2-3 Tablespoons of Beef Stew seasoning mix per pound of meat used in the recipe.
Scroll to bottom for Beef Stew Recipe Using this Seasoning Mix
What is Instant Flour?
Instant flour is a type of flour that dissolves very quickly in either hot or cold water and is wonderful for Lump free sauces, gravies, stews, etc. If you don’t have access to instant flour, you can substitute it with regular all-purpose flour if you’d like.
Beef Stew Seasoning McCormick Style
If you love the flavor of McCormick beef stew seasoning you’ll want to add 1 teaspoon of thyme and 1 tablespoon of sugar to the above mixture to replicate the flavor of beef stew with McCormick seasoning packets. This stew seasoning mix is perfect for tough cuts of beef, venison or other red game meats.
Hearty Beef Stew Recipe
This can be prepared the night before, (which is usually what I do!). Wash all of the vegetables well. Cut the potatoes into medium size chunks, I don’t peel them first, but be sure to remove any “eyes” from them. You can add other veggies if you prefer, such as fresh green beans, corn kernels or peas, during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
2 lbs of Beef, cut into chunks (about 1″)
1 pound carrots, washed, peeled and sliced
4-5 medium Russett potatoes, washed
3 stalks of celery, washed
1 large onion, cut into chunks
8 C. Beef Stock (or 6 tsp beef Bouillon & 8 c. water)
6 Tbs Beef Stew Seasoning Mix
2 c. water
- Combine the seasoning mix with 6 cups of the beef stock, stirring well.
- Transfer the stew meat and onion into the crockpot, pour the seasoned broth over them.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Add the vegetables and the remaining two cups of broth to cover. If needed, add up to 2 c. more water.
- Cover and cook an additional 4 hours.